Thread: New Linux Kernel LZO For 3.9 Is Much Faster

Default New Linux Kernel LZO For 3.9 Is Much Faster

Phoronix: New Linux Kernel LZO For 3.9 Is Much Faster

Aside from Google Zopfli there is some more Linux/open-source compression algorithm news today. The LZO compression/decompression support within the Linux kernel has been updated against upstream. LZO in Linux 3.9 will now be much faster...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMxNTM

I wonder should it be "i486" instead of "i386" in the context of the Linux kernel since it doesn't support i386 any longer?

Btrfs can use LZO compression, it would be interesting to check if benchmarks show some gain.

Default Patch for Kernel Linux 3.8.1

Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    I wonder should it be "i486" instead of "i386" in the context of the Linux kernel since it doesn't support i386 any longer?
    Good point. But, LZO itself (in it's current form) does support i386. Just not the kernel it has been included into . Besides, you can revive i386 if you want with git.

Damn, now I wish Google used kernel 3.9 for Android, especially if they don't even intend to use 3.8 anytime soon. If it's going to be used in next version, and then 3.9 or 4.0 in the one after that, then it's quite alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Krysto View Post
    Damn, now I wish Google used kernel 3.9 for Android, especially if they don't even intend to use 3.8 anytime soon. If it's going to be used in next version, and then 3.9 or 4.0 in the one after that, then it's quite alright.
    I'm quite sure the next version after 3.9 will be 3.10...