Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt/GTK Speed On Unity/KDE/Xfce/LXDE/GNOME/Razor

Phoronix: Qt/GTK Speed On Unity/KDE/Xfce/LXDE/GNOME/Razor

Shared earlier today were OpenGL game benchmarks under different Linux desktops. Now to complement those earlier results are 2D performance tests under Unity, KDE, GNOME Shell, Xfce, LXDE, and Razor-qt...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

LXDE looks really crappy here, what's going on? Can't see why openbox with LXDE's taskbar tanks performance like that... in fact, that seems outright wrong, like super bug wrong.

XFCE on the other hand is about what I expect.

Comment

Performance of desktop environments

I would like to see benchmarks of Steam games (Half Life, Serious Sam3, Team Fortress 2, ...) for different desktop environments, especially Unity, Gnome, KDE and LXDE.
      From my experience, Unity is the desktop that give the lowest fps for any OpenGL game.

As these games are mostly available for Linux, Windows and Mac OS, it may also be a good benchmark to compare graphics drivers for all 3 platforms.

Comment

Michael: Benchmarking Compositors this way is pointless please go read this

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronix
          Also holding their ground fairly well against Xfce were Unity with Compiz and LXDE while KDE, LXDE, and Razor-Qt were further back.
          (emphesis mine) You mean Gnome Shell?

Comment

Originally posted by drago01 View Post
            Michael: Benchmarking Compositors this way is pointless please go read this
            1. the way it is done here it is not pointless at all
            2. your article is WAY too outdated. gnome shell with mutter is using unredirected for fullscreen already since a long time. in this article it still talks about a mutter without that.

Comment

It is well known that compositing hurts framerates in games. For DEs where compositing can be toggled on/off, both options should be tested to get a fuller picture.

Comment

Was the KDE system configured properly?

Comment

Originally posted by ultimA View Post
                  It is well known that compositing hurts framerates in games. For DEs where compositing can be toggled on/off, both options should be tested to get a fuller picture.
                  You are absolutely right...both should be tested. Now that article doesn't give any answers for me. At the moment I have marked programs like mplayer and steam automatically toggle compositing off. With those settings games runs fast and videos without tearing on KDE.

Comment

Isn't QGears2 GLORIFIED "Do I have OpenGL AT ALL?" ???

Comment

Working...
                    X