Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4200 integrated + 6850 discreet using xrandr?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4200 integrated + 6850 discreet using xrandr?

OK, So I got the kernel configured and everything seems right. Both video cards come up at boot in the kernel and then when xorg loads they both get detected and seem to be auto configured properly... However xrandr is only showing the head that is plugged into the 6850. It seems that xrandr doesnt work with multiple video cards. I currently have 1.4.0 installed which claims support for multiple video cards but it still only shows the 6850... Does anybody have any idea how to make this work?

xrandr doesn't work with multiple video cards configured as a single logical screen.

Comment

OK thats kinda screwed up. So xinerama is out of the question.

What about zaphod? Would that work?

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        OK thats kinda screwed up. So xinerama is out of the question.

What about zaphod? Would that work?
        xrandr assumes one GPU per protocol screen. So it won't work properly with xinerama. It will work with zaphod with the caveat that it will only control the GPU driving the protocol screen you are talking to.

Comment

Alright!!

Zaphod worked out ok. LXDE on the other hand didnt work so good I just get a black screen with a stylized "X" curser on the second screen. XFCE seems fine. KDE has some bugs with the mouse curser but otherwise works.

The main reason for wanting to use the integrated card instead of putting them both on the 6850 is because I like to watch movies while playing video games and video playback was very choppy. It seems better now with the video playing on a different gpu but it still has some choppiness to it.

Thanks for your help all is working pretty good.

EDIT: The only other problem I have to figure out now is that XBMC seems to steal mouse focus so I can't move the mouse back to the main monitor..... time for some google searching i think.....
          Last edited by duby229; 28 February 2013, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X