Future of ATI Linux drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dandel View Post
    I have an X1900Gt and it does not have this issue... do you have compiz enabled by any chance?
    Compiz enabled on one, and not installed on the other (with Composite disabled etc). Either with or without Compiz the problem is the same - games etc artifact like crazy then hard lock the system (or just hard lock the system very soon after launching). When using Windows on the same pc's there are no problems at all.

Comment

Originally posted by dodgy View Post
      Compiz enabled on one, and not installed on the other (with Composite disabled etc). Either with or without Compiz the problem is the same - games etc artifact like crazy then hard lock the system (or just hard lock the system very soon after launching). When using Windows on the same pc's there are no problems at all.
      mind revealing which card your using to be price, namely manufacturer and model # so i can tell you what else to to... it might be easily remedied by changing the gpu cooling fan, or replacing the thermal compound on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dandel View Post
        mind revealing which card your using to be price, namely manufacturer and model # so i can tell you what else to to... it might be easily remedied by changing the gpu cooling fan, or replacing the thermal compound on it.
        One card is an HIS Radeon X1800XT 512MB, and the other pc's card is a Sapphire Radeon X1800XT 256MB.

Though if you think that both are overheating, why would they have started doing that in Linux but still do not overheat in Windows?

Comment

Future of ATI Linux drivers? Grim, with just cultists still buying these cards to use on Linux.

Comment

it is likely grim, as opensource drivers are quickly catching up to fglrx feature-wise.

but ati on linux is not for cultists. it works reliably with opensource drivers.

i can't say much about fglrx, since i decided to stop using it after 8.36 totally broke xvideo. i don't care whether it's fixed now, i'm not giving fglrx another chance because i don't have to :]

Comment

open drivers work reliably? wow, you're easy to please. "the thing doesn't crash". catalyst 8.5 sure crashed for me, horribly. It wants to work, but once opengl starts, it either segfaults right away, or runs for a bit, then crashes and locks up the system. I'm sure a lot of people want to buy expensive, dedicated 3d cards to move around some windows on an open driver. Forget it, the only way for "high performance" no matter what anyone says, was the proprietary stuff, and it's junk, and will be for the foreseeable future. Knowing that, I can only imagine a hardcore fanboy would shell out for ati cards to put on linux just to toy around with some wobbly driver. maybe that thrill ride is a game in itself for them, who knows. But if these guys exist, they're sure to be very rare.
              Last edited by Moronix; 03 June 2008, 01:18 AM.

Comment

is amd going to create drivers to use the external graphics cards on linux? after reading the announcement today i was really excited but then read it was vista only

Comment

Fglrx must be easier to install and tune!
                  If we want more folks to join Linux community and buy ATI cards the company must finally change that ancient graphic installer and provide a GUI for aticonfig so that every newbie user can tune the driver correctly.
                  Furthermore driver's documentation must be completely re-written and filled with information for new stuff and help for new users so that it can be finally usable and not helpful for drivers 2 years old!
                  Documentation is a must be fixed thing!
                  At Compiz-Fusion forum the thread for setting up fglrx has more than 89000 views and 500 posts and it is a guide we made ourselves for using Compiz with AIGLX correctly. And this happens because there is no Documentation at the driver's package suite.

Comment

Also we can help at the documentation point if AMD needs any help from the community... Translations maybe...

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
                      but ati on linux is not for cultists.
                      It's for unfortunate souls who bought an ATI I think AMD should stick a label on the boxes that goes like "If you use Linux please don't buy this."

i can't say much about fglrx, since i decided to stop using it after 8.36 totally broke xvideo. i don't care whether it's fixed now
                      It's not fixed. In Catalyst 8.8, tearing will officially get introduced as a feature:

Comment

Working...
                      X