Future of ATI Linux drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by siggma View Post
    Actually I found out why I've been having trouble. A bug in mplayer prevents it from recognizing the newer radeon cards. see this article:

I'm installing it now to see if it will accept: -vo xvidix as an output device.
    -Tom
    I've tested with the latest build of mplayer, both standalone and with the SMplayer front end.

I've tried all of the TexturedVideo, TexturedVideoSync, Textured2D, TexturedXrender, and BackingStore options. No change with any of the above.

Xv is simply not running yet on the R5xx parts. Hopefully the next revision of fglrx will include support for Xv video acceleration.

Comment

Xv

Originally posted by Porter View Post
      I've tested with the latest build of mplayer, both standalone and with the SMplayer front end.

I've tried all of the TexturedVideo, TexturedVideoSync, Textured2D, TexturedXrender, and BackingStore options. No change with any of the above.

Xv is simply not running yet on the R5xx parts. Hopefully the next revision of fglrx will include support for Xv video acceleration.
      Yea, that seems to be the case. I tried the Avivo drivers too but same thing, no valid vidix device.

It's clearly only a matter of time. It's also unfortunate that Widnows gets precidence over other communities. In a word: Influence...
      Thanks for the validation, i'll just be patient and keep my Vista around for a few more months...
      -Tom

Comment

Tom,

Big news on the OSS driver front... apparently the xf86-video-ati (radeon) driver team just added support for TexturedVideo on the R5xx and some R6xx parts. We'll both have to test as soon as they do the next release, and compare to fglrx.

See: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7997
        Last edited by Porter; 25 February 2008, 06:48 PM.

Comment

OSS r500

Tom,

Big news on the OSS driver front... apparently the xf86-video-ati (radeon) driver team just added support for TexturedVideo on the R5xx and some R6xx parts. We'll both have to test as soon as they do the next release, and compare to fglrx.

See: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7997
          Sorry dude, this is not aimed at you. I'm frustrated at how tiny the text is and the editor box is barely 40 characters wide. Pre IBM-PC text width...
          Nice announcement, does this mean it's now available in the repository or do I need to go hunting for it?

It's a second hand announcement with no specific reference to a source document and no off site links. I realize google indexes links but they don't count links to one's own site. Is it too much to ask to take another 15 seconds and note exactly what one does to take advantage of this new "announcement?", or if it's even available?

And, is this the RADEON driver or the FGLRX?
          Not all readers know the difference. Not all readers know there are several different drivers available for the newer ATI cards. Avivo, FGLRX(ati) OSS(fglrx oss) RADEONHD to name a few. CLARITY would be nice. Whomever wrote this needs to take just a few more SECONDS and point the readers in a USEFUL direction. Like perhaps a link back to the original article or to a useful site reference like
          Read more at Radeon HD:

I'll write the author and see if it makes a difference. In the mean time, thanks for the information. I hope I can find it....
          Last edited by siggma; 25 February 2008, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Wow, I'm not sure how I could have been more clear. There are several threads in the Open Source ATI forum dealing specifically with what I mentioned, I even linked one of them.

There's only one xf86-video-ati driver. It's commonly known as the "radeon" open source driver.

There's no such thing as an "OSS" fglrx. The only one I'm aware of is closed source and proprietary, and is specifically the topic of this thread.

And no, the updates to xf86-video-ati aren't yet released in any form that is directly installable, such as a repository. It's been barely 48 hours since the changes were made to the codebase. I'm sure it'll be packaged up all shiny-like as soon as the next revision of the driver is released.

Here are the two relevant announcement articles here at Phoronix:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And the two threads that correspond:

Technical support and discussion of the open-source AMD Radeon graphics drivers.

Technical support and discussion of the open-source AMD Radeon graphics drivers.

And here's the actual overview of what's going on with the open source xf86-video-ati driver: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/dri...video-ati/log/

Our very own agd5f is the "Alex Deucher" you see making so many improvements to the driver, along with Dave Airlie and the other developers. They're doing fantastic things.

I hope this helps.

Now... back to fglrx! Sorry for the diversion.
            Last edited by Porter; 26 February 2008, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Radeon Driver OSS and r500

Wow, I'm not sure how I could have been more clear. There are several threads in the Open Source ATI forum dealing specifically with what I mentioned, I even linked one of them.
              Sorry dude, this is not aimed at you.

Your post was indeed useful. More useful than the original article. I apologize for posting that here, it was inappropriate. It was intended to be pointed towards the author of the article and to express my frustration at the tiny little editor window. I've written a separate email for that purpose.

On with the discussion, any idea when this will be available for public "ready to install" download?

I've tried the "radeon" driver in Debian etch, Mandriva 2008 and I think Ubuntu Gutsy and so far it fails to even initialize my Visiontek x1650 card. I get a black screen and a lockup. Unless that's specifically what you were so happily addressing. I reinstalled Xubuntu last night and tried to use the OSS "restricted" driver and it did the same as above so if a lack of r500 support is the reason, I couldn't be happier!

I'm not as well versed as I'd like to be and having at least three different sources for drivers make it's somewhat confusing. We have Open Source, Avivo and ATI Proprietary and apparently there is going to be an additional source either temporarily or permanently while ATI decides how best to share it's code with "Open Source" developers.
              Thanks for the notice, it's a new day and I'll take some time to peruse both the RadeonHD and Avivio distribution sites to see if they have hard release dates.
              -Tom

Comment

LOL

LOL

WBR,
                Alex

Comment

Better OpenGL support. As of now many OpenGL apps artifact and crash on my x1800xt

Comment

Originally posted by karthikrg View Post
                    Better OpenGL support. As of now many OpenGL apps artifact and crash on my x1800xt
                    Ditto, on both my pc's that have X1800XT's in them. They're unusable for any 3D OpenGL apps or games.

Comment

Originally posted by dodgy View Post
                      Ditto, on both my pc's that have X1800XT's in them. They're unusable for any 3D OpenGL apps or games.
                      I have an X1900Gt and it does not have this issue... do you have compiz enabled by any chance?

Comment

Working...
                      X