No announcement yet.

SNA Sandy Bridge Is Quick To Beat UXA Too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ivy Bridge here, but perhaps it's similar enough.

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
    GtkPerf seam to favour UXA on Gen5/6. Bug or feature ?
    With git master and sna gtkperf was 3.x seconds two days ago (before http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTMxMjU), but now it's 6+ seconds with kwin opengl compositing. It's probably only temporary.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      "QML Crap" ? Its even easier to create user-interfaces, they automatically scale to smaller displays, you can do everything you could with QtWidgets, its automatically hardware accelerated, platform independent because its written in javascript, and carries ZERO legacy cruft.
      QML is optimized for small touch screens, not for desktop applications.
      It isn't hard to create GUI for desktop application in Qt Designer.
      Qt4 and GTK are also hardware accelerated.
      Javascript is one of worst programming languages.
      It isn't possible to write QML applications in C++11, which is best programming language for desktop applications.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
        Ivy Bridge here, but perhaps it's similar enough.

With git master and sna gtkperf was 3.x seconds two days ago (before http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTMxMjU), but now it's 6+ seconds with kwin opengl compositing. It's probably only temporary.
        Really? That's quite unexpected, and hopefully a clue as to what is going on there. In the past, I've found that those two particular gtkperf subtests are ratelimited by the gtkperf process itself and that process was being inexplicably throttled - but I have never encountered an effect as severe as reported earlier for ILK. Again, hopefully the magnified effect will make it easier to spot the cause.

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
          It isn't possible to write QML applications in C++11, which is best programming language for desktop applications.
          Really? I assumed you could just use the Designer to auto-generate the QML side of things for the UI, and stick in whatever C++ you wanted.

Javascript is a great scripting language, but i agree it's not what you should be coding application logic in. It seems ideal for scripting UI's though.

Qt4's "hardware acceleration" was pretty infamous for being deceleration, at least on Linux.

Remember all the stuff about how you could force apps to use the raster backend to speed things up? And on Windows, they always used the raster backend. I don't know about OSX.
          Last edited by smitty3268; 27 February 2013, 10:29 PM.

Comment

QML is optimized for small touch screens, not for desktop applications.
            Its optimized for anything. You can have them be really complicated and big for desktop apps, or really minimal for mobile apps.

Its not HARD, youre right. Its just easier in QML. Literally like 10 lines of code.

Qt4 and GTK are HORRIBLY accelerated, very inconsistent cuz of legacy code paths

Javascript is a fine language for really... its also platform agnostic, which is a keypart for QML's work (availability to mobile, on platforms OTHER than the one it was dev'ed on.)

You can use C++ with QML, its just not the preferred language. But you can do. QML's backends are all C++ based, you just dont normally interact with those.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              Really? I assumed you could just use the Designer to auto-generate the QML side of things for the UI, and stick in whatever C++ you wanted.
              You can use the designer to make more complex QML apps. The really simple ones though are dead simple to write in text files by hand.
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                Its optimized for anything. You can have them be really complicated and big for desktop apps, or really minimal for mobile apps.

Its not HARD, youre right. Its just easier in QML. Literally like 10 lines of code.

Qt4 and GTK are HORRIBLY accelerated, very inconsistent cuz of legacy code paths

Javascript is a fine language for really... its also platform agnostic, which is a keypart for QML's work (availability to mobile, on platforms OTHER than the one it was dev'ed on.)

You can use C++ with QML, its just not the preferred language. But you can do. QML's backends are all C++ based, you just dont normally interact with those.
                You can't create complicated desktop apps in QML only as you can't directly use regular C++ classes and functions.
                You need to create glue C++ code to use regular C++ classes in QML. Complicated desktop apps will be horrible mix of QML/Javascript and C++.
                It isn't easier to create desktop applications in QML.
                Javascript is dynamically-typed prototype-based language, which means broken by design.
                You can't avoid Javascript in QML / Qt Quick applications and use C++ only as with Widgets.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Qt4's "hardware acceleration" was pretty infamous for being deceleration, at least on Linux.

Remember all the stuff about how you could force apps to use the raster backend to speed things up? And on Windows, they always used the raster backend. I don't know about OSX.
                  qtperf was 6 times with native backend than raster one on my old PC. If raster backend is faster than native one in certain cases, it is caused by bug in Qt, which should be fixed.

Comment

You can't create complicated desktop apps in QML only as you can't directly use regular C++ classes and functions.
                    You need to create glue C++ code to use regular C++ classes in QML. Complicated desktop apps will be horrible mix of QML/Javascript and C++.
                    It isn't easier to create desktop applications in QML.
                    Javascript is dynamically-typed prototype-based language, which means broken by design.
                    You can't avoid Javascript in QML / Qt Quick applications and use C++ only as with Widgets.
                    Sure you can: http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qtq...ck-module.html
                    The API and programming model is much more like QGraphicsView than QWidget, and no widgets for Qt Quick are provided as part of Qt, but it is all there - available from C++.

EDIT:
                    You may also create and manipulate a QML scene from C++: http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qtq...ml-module.html
                    But if you like QWidget better, just use that.
                    Last edited by jonnor; 28 February 2013, 05:42 PM.

Comment

qtperf was 6 times with native backend than raster one on my old PC.
                      Correction: qtperf was 6 times faster with native backend than with raster one on my old PC

Comment

Working...
                      X