Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXT4 File-System Updated For Linux 3.9

Phoronix: EXT4 File-System Updated For Linux 3.9

The EXT4 file-system in the forthcoming Linux 3.9 kernel will support using the previously-introduced punch hole functionality for inodes not using extent maps...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

From the article:
    Hole punching as it pertains to file-systems is marking a portion of a file as being no longer needed and can then be reclaimed.
    I think it's not true.
    Afaik hole punching is about _virtually_ allocating space for a big file but physically only doing so when one is writing to it and only as much as has been written.

E.g. when you create a vmware virtual image of like 10GB for a Linux OS that uses only like 4GB when fully installed you'll actually be using just 4GB on your HDD while the vmware installed image file ".vmdk" claims/thinks it's 10GB.
    This also has some drawbacks, like when the guest OS tries to use the rest of the "free" space while the disk is already full.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      From the article:

I think it's not true.
      Afaik hole punching is about _virtually_ allocating space for a big file but physically only doing so when one is writing to it and only as much as has been written.

E.g. when you create a vmware virtual image of like 10GB for a Linux OS that uses only like 4GB when fully installed you'll actually be using just 4GB on your HDD while the vmware installed image file ".vmdk" claims/thinks it's 10GB.
      This also has some drawbacks, like when the guest OS tries to use the rest of the "free" space while the disk is already full.
      I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you're thinking about sparse files, which ext4 already supports

Comment

Working...
      X