Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD 760G (Radeon 3000) May Be Worrisome On Linux

Phoronix: AMD 760G (Radeon 3000) May Be Worrisome On Linux

For those looking to utilize the Radeon HD 3000 integrated graphics found with the AMD 760G motherboard chipset, the support may be less than stellar when using the modern open-source Radeon Linux graphics driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Did you file a bug report?

*ducks*

Comment

This sounds almost exactly like the problems I have been experiencing:

Happens both when using the on-board graphics and a Radeon HD 2400 card installed in a MSI 760GM-E51(FX) motherboard. My nice Radeon HD 4870 worked fine, as it still does on my main computer running Arch.

Comment

I have a laptop (Thinkpad X100e) based on a close relative of this card:
        Radeon HD 3200 Mobility (RS780M)
        On Squeeze, Mesa broke during bringing-up for Evergreen. I bisected, filed a bug report, and...it didn't get fixed.
        In the 9.x timeframe, I updated libdrm and everything else that I was supposed to, tried again since the codepath had ended up in libdrm. It's still broken, at least on Squeeze with backports.
        However, I think that's a different issue.

Comment

"AMD Catalyst graphics driver no longer carries support for the pre-HD5000 series hardware"
          But Catalyst legacy driver is a option for these cards
          Personally I'm using the OSS Radeon driver though. My system has a Radeon HD 4650.

Comment

The legacy driver doesn't support new X or kernel.

Comment

I feel for you.

I have an hp laptop having a dual graphics with amd 6300 ati + amd4200 discrete video. It is not yet one year old when the legacy drivers came out.

I can't use the updated catalyst drivers because amd4200 is not supported. The legacy drivers last I tried was not usable as well. And with the open source driver- it heats up really bad ranging from 80 to 100 degrees.

Comment

isn't it possible to disable the onboard graphics card on motherboards? I doubt you can do that in laptops

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
                  But Catalyst legacy driver is a option for these cards
                  And it works on fairly modern distros at the moment, but eventually, it will become like the Catalyst 9-3 driver (i.e. not worth mentioning).

Comment

Originally posted by vampireJ View Post
                    isn't it possible to disable the onboard graphics card on motherboards?
                    On desktop motherboards, certainly. You can put your own AMD or NVIDIA graphics card in the PCIe x16 slot.

I once used Linux to backup documents from a laptop with non-hybrid Radeon HD 3650 (Acer Aspire 5530G) when Windows had a problem there. Cinnamon on my Mint 13 and 14 Live DVDs never caused any issues on this laptop with radeon - in fact the only problem I noted was a slightly higher temperature with open-source drivers.

Comment

Working...
                    X