Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspend seems to be working so far

Originally posted by pjjanak View Post
    Surprise surprise. Still no suspend when using Compiz. Back to radeonhd...at least it's reliable.

Peter
    I have yet to stress-test it, but so far it looks like my FireGL 5200 laptop will suspend to disk and ram successfully using hibernate-script (and suspend2/tuxonice for the disk). The built-in ubuntu suspend-to-ram failed (but at least just returned me harmlessly to a login prompt).

I am running compiz/Xgl on an ubuntu gutsy system. I tried AIGLX but various rendering problems made it totally unusable, e.g. no highlighting of the current menu item when operating menus with a mouse.

If these results hold up, it is a massive improvement for me over the fglrx 8-1 driver, which crashed X so often that I didn't dare use it, and the 8.42 driver before that, which would only occasionally suspend properly, and usually caused me to need an fsck.

Comment

• I have the problem that in BigDesktop mode with my rv380 OpenGL applications cannot maximize properly on the second monitor as OpenGL seems not to be able to render anything over a certain point. glxgears or fgl_glxgears work fine on the primary and on half of the second monitor, but once I move part of their windows over the 'frontier' they simply don't render there while still drawing fine on the other side.
      Can someone else share his experiences with a BigDesktop setup? I tried also a plain dual head setup but X would freeze at startup with it.
      A strange behaviour with hese drivers is that any Virtual line in my Screen section causes screen corruption.

Comment

• I have the problem that in BigDesktop mode with my rv380 OpenGL applications cannot maximize properly on the second monitor as OpenGL seems not to be able to render anything over a certain point. glxgears or fgl_glxgears work fine on the primary and on half of the second monitor, but once I move part of their windows over the 'frontier' they simply don't render there while still drawing fine on the other side.
        Can someone else share his experiences with a BigDesktop setup? I tried also a plain dual head setup but X would freeze at startup with it.
        A strange behaviour with hese drivers is that any Virtual line in my Screen section causes screen corruption.
        I believe (rather speculatively) your openGL overlay is limited to the size of your pbuffer:
        Originally posted by http://debian.wgdd.de/temp/fglrx_man/fglrx.4x.html
        Code:
        Option "PBuffer" "integer"

Parameter 	PBuffer area size
            "0" 	PBuffer area disabled.
            "1" 	Size of PBuffer area 1280x1024.
            "2" 	Size of PBuffer area 1600x1200.
            "3" 	Size of PBuffer area 1920x1200.
            "4" 	Size of PBuffer area 2048x1536.
        So you can only have openGL functioning on part of your desktop if your big desktop is bigger than your card's max supported pbuffer size. I think you should be able to switch which screen the openGL overlay is located on, and this will let you switch which desktop the overlay is covering primarily, or reverse your desktops if you are trying to move it to a different monitor
        I think this is only an issue if your big desktop is bigger than the bounds of your max PBuffer size. (Even though most modern cards it's probably 2560 x 1600, that's easily smaller than two high resolution screens side by side.) I am pretty sure that the latest release of compiz is also trying to address this through some sort of multiple monitor support function, and I think the direction its heading (and this is just speculation) is to have 1 PBuffer per monitor, rather than 1 per all monitors, if that's possible.

Anyhow, most of this post is more so my speculation than fact, and I have the same issue: by default opengl only shows up on about 2/3 of my 3360x1050 big desktop (Though it mirrors to both fine). When I want to have an opengl thing of some kind on a specific screen, I made a little script button that I can click to just reverse my monitors instantly.
        Last edited by sloggerKhan; 23 February 2008, 01:13 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by sloggerKhan View Post
          I believe (slightly speculatively) your openGL overlay is limited to the size of your pbuffer:

So you can only have openGL functioning on part of your desktop if your big desktop is bigger than your card's max supported pbuffer size. I think you should be able to switch which screen the openGL overlay is located on, and this will let you switch which desktop the overlay is covering primarily, or reverse your desktops if you are trying to move it to a different monitor
          I think this is only an issue if your big desktop is bigger than the bounds of your max PBuffer size. (Even though most modern cards it's probably 2560 x 1600, that's easily smaller than two high resolution screens side by side.) I am pretty sure that the latest release of compiz is also trying to address this through some sort of multiple monitor support function, and I think the direction its heading (and this is just speculation) is to have 1 PBuffer per monitor, rather than 1 per all monitors, if that's possible.

Anyhow, most of this post is more so my speculation than fact, and I have the same issue: by default opengl only shows up on about 2/3 of my 3360x1050 big desktop (Though it mirrors to both fine). When I want to have an opengl thing of some kind on a specific screen, I made a little script button that I can click to just reverse my monitors instantly.
          Thank you for your input.
          Just some more info from my side, since many things aren't that clear for me yet (my fault, not of your explanation ) I have disabled OpenGL overlay and enabled xv overlay in xorg.conf, and I guess that setting the overlay through aticonfig or through xorg.conf doesn't do anything (I have tried it actually with OpenGL overlay enabled, had no effect). Then PBuffer settings in xorg.conf didn't have any effect neither (option is not used message in Xorg log file). Then I recall that once with a driver version I had similiar problems, but that was a while ago and I am quite certain that I could maximize an OpenGL application like Celestia on the second monitor in BigDesktop mode (which is what always used). What I will try now is to disable all Composite/AIGLX stuff to see what effect that will have. I just want to find out what suddenly causes this limitation, bug or wrong configuration.

Bye, signor_rossi.

P.S.: Sorry for my cr*ppy English.

Comment

• Well I'll be...

Well I'll be... It looks like I finally have a simi-usable version of this driver. The driver seems to be working alot better and Compiz-Fusion is now working correctly with Firefox.

However there is still problems with XV video playback and OpenGL flickers with composite enabled. There is also quite a few missing OpenGL functions -or- "features" (as I've sometimes heard them called) that keep a few 3d apps from being usable.

With all that said, it seems that we are finally moving in the right direction, but I am worried that by the time the driver has moved into a usable beta version of the driver that my card (Xpress 200m) will no longer be supported.

Comment

• This driver sucks. After about 10-15 minutes of using my PC, the screen freezes, and I have to reboot. It's really annoying to reboot every 15 minutes. Anyone knows a fix for this problem? Everything worked fine with the 8.1 driver.

Comment

• Originally posted by bewst View Post
                I have yet to stress-test it, but so far it looks like my FireGL 5200 laptop will suspend to disk and ram successfully using hibernate-script (and suspend2/tuxonice for the disk). The built-in ubuntu suspend-to-ram failed (but at least just returned me harmlessly to a login prompt).

I am running compiz/Xgl on an ubuntu gutsy system. I tried AIGLX but various rendering problems made it totally unusable, e.g. no highlighting of the current menu item when operating menus with a mouse.

If these results hold up, it is a massive improvement for me over the fglrx 8-1 driver, which crashed X so often that I didn't dare use it, and the 8.42 driver before that, which would only occasionally suspend properly, and usually caused me to need an fsck.
                Heh, I take it back. AIGLX works! I had "loose binding" selected in my compiz options, which made everything look corrupted. And as far as I can tell, suspend/hibernate are still working for me. So I am one happy clam. Just waiting for everything to break now...

Comment

• I would use 8.2 but aiglx + compiz fusion is still broken (super super slow), and i still get total lockups when playing a 3D game, so im back to the 8.40 driver :/ my card is a ati radeon xpress 1150.

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    You mean you haven't noticed? The quality of the releases ARE improving. ...
                    Michael,

While I agree in part (I think the x200 blank screen to an actual display was a big deal ), the last few builds have never compiled on Fedora. How do I measure this improvement when I can't even compile it? This has been constant for the last few releases:
                    Code:
                    sh ati-driver-installer-8-02-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Fedora/F8
                    Created directory fglrx-install.M25575
                    Verifying archive integrity... All good.
                    Uncompressing ATI Proprietary Linux Driver-8.455.2....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
                    ==================================================
                     ATI Technologies Linux Driver Installer/Packager 
                    ==================================================
                    Generating package: Fedora/F8
                    mv: cannot stat `/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.455.2-1-25666-root/BUILD/ATI-fglrx-8.455.2/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/*': No such file or directory
                    mv: cannot stat `/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.455.2-1-25666-root/BUILD/ATI-fglrx-8.455.2/usr/X11R6/lib/*.so.*': No such file or directory
                    Package build failed!
                    Package build utility output:
                    Building target platforms: x86_64
                    Building for target x86_64
                    I am sure you will tell me that I should look at some other place to get the "real" download, but how is this compiling "out-of-the-box"?

Thanks,
                    Partha

Comment

• We are waiting for working TvTime. With ATI card I can not use my TV-Tuner. Its sad, but TvTime is only one *normal* programme for TV watching. And because of ATI we can't use it Only one TV-programme works now on my X1600XT - it's Zapping. But it has no overlay and deinterlacing support - very crappy picture, but there is no solution. Any other programme locks X or just can't show anything. Is there any harware problems with overlay? Or it is just because of ATI Driver Developers don't like to watch TV on the computer?

Comment

Working...
                      X