No announcement yet.

Got a question for Mark Shuttleworth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like to know if there are any plans to make Ubuntu make better use of modern PCs in terms of performance. Right now it seems to me like Ubuntu still is configured for i386 systems and not optimized for i586 or even i686 systems (correct me if I'm wrong here). Fact is, performance-wise Ubuntu is way behind for example (my) Slackware/Zenwalk-System(s) in all respects.

I know that according to Ubuntu's philosophy software should be available for ?every computer user?, which includes users of older systems as well. But at the other hand, Ubuntu is a very polished and modern OS, so I wonder if there are any plans to make better use of modern PCs to gain better performance and if so, what plans.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Janusz11 View Post
      I'd like to know if there are any plans to make Ubuntu make better use of modern PCs in terms of performance. Right now it seems to me like Ubuntu still is configured for i386 systems and not optimized for i586 or even i686 systems (correct me if I'm wrong here). Fact is, performance-wise Ubuntu is way behind for example (my) Slackware/Zenwalk-System(s) in all respects.

I know that according to Ubuntu's philosophy software should be available for ?every computer user?, which includes users of older systems as well. But at the other hand, Ubuntu is a very polished and modern OS, so I wonder if there are any plans to make better use of modern PCs to gain better performance and if so, what plans.

Thanks in advance.
      I was under the impression that as of Edgy the default kernel (linux-generic) is compiled for something other plain i386. I just looked for a link to that information but couldn't find it. In fact, looking for some answers here made me more confused about what this linux-generic kernel actually is... I read somewhere that you would only need to be using this kernel after an upgrade but that doesn't explain much (and chances are the guy in that thread didn't know what was going on anyway). If I find some info I'll post it.

Comment

Thanks Joshua. Every information is welcome!

But I wasn't referring to the kernel alone. That I can always build myself and sure a self-baken kernel speeds up the boot process a little. But it wouldn't change much on the response or the overall performance of the system. OpenOffice Writer doesn't start any faster with a self-build kernel.

My point behind this question is that I think (and I know I'm not alone here) that a modern OS should be fast and responsive. Linux in general makes pretty good use of modern PCs capabilities. But compared to other OSs I worked with so far Ubuntu is pretty slow.

They've already improved the performance of Ubuntu compared to the early releases. And I'd like to know if they keep this work up and try to make Ubuntu even more responsive and faster or even optimise it (not only the kernel, but also the software around it) for at least i586 systems.
        Last edited by Janusz11; 24 January 2007, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Bump, have a week or two left.

I have about 25 questions so far for Mark.
          Last edited by Michael; 29 January 2007, 12:06 PM.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

For those curious about the questions that were posed to Mark Shuttleworth, see: http://www.michaellarabel.com/index.php?k=blog&i=38
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Way to go in getting all the questions into a version for him to look through. I assume he isn't going to answer all of them... just pick out some from the list, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by joshuapurcell View Post
                Way to go in getting all the questions into a version for him to look through. I assume he isn't going to answer all of them... just pick out some from the list, correct?
                Actually he should be answering all of them plus a few more that I didn't publish at this time.
                Michael Larabel

Comment

Thanks for the update Michael. And very interesting questions indeed. I'm looking forward for Mark Shuttleworth reply.

Comment

Mark Shuttleworth has been extremely busy but next week we have finally our conference call time established. Any quick questions you would like answered?
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

With recent events around Linux violating Microsoft's patents, I'd like to hear what Mark has to say about the issue and how he thinks it will be resolved.

Comment

Working...
                      X