X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thoemy View Post
    glxgears is broken

And because it's so beautiful in fullscreen:

XV looks ugly as noted in the release notes. At least compiz seems to work well. Only the unminimizing of windows is a bit slow. I don't know what else is fixed or broken. Let's wait and see.

All this on AMD64, Xorg 1.4 and a HD 2600 XT card.
    Wow dude, thats many fragments per second :-)

Comment

8.02 is the best release in a long time.

Like other people have posted before I also noticed some very positive changes:
      - Logging out no longer crashes the system.
      - When running compiz many things have become much "snappier", faster, more responsive.
      - And, most importantly, Firefox is finally useable when running compiz (or the other way round, compiz is finally useable when running Firofox) since the slooooooooooow scrolling has been (almost, it's at least a lot better) fixed.

Of course, some issues are remaining, but this release is a big step in the right direction without some of the bummers of 7.12 (some resolutions not working) or 8.1 (crashes when logging out).
      Thanks ATI/AMD developers, go on like that!!!

P.S. The people constantly complaining about "cr***y releases" might won't believe it but i am not affiliated with ATI/AMD in any way except for being a user of a mobo with RS690G.

Comment

OK, I've tried the workaround now...

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Is the workaround described in the tech note not working for you ?
        A virtual screen of 1728x1050 does work around the OpenGL distortion, but now the GPU locks up when my OpenGL game starts. (I.e. the X server freezes, but the music carries on playing in the background.)

So 8.02 is still not an option.

Comment

Slow glRender ( GL_RENDER ), *broken* GL_SELECT

Originally posted by BratzeM View Post
          8.02 is the best release in a long time.
          ATI hasn't released anything good since 7.11 (8.40.4). Am I the only one that has seen performance for GL_RENDER cut in half since then, and performance for glRenderMode ( GL_SELECT ); blow out to be 100 times slower?

see http://www.it.usyd.edu.au/~tapted/slow_glselect.html for some benchmarks and a test program. This is affecting Windows, too.

I really do hope ATI/AMD fix this crap -- they have totally screwed up with their "new and improved" OpenGL driver. It's broken as all hell.
          Last edited by tapted; 26 February 2008, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X