Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Catalyst 8.02 Linux Driver

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 8.02 Linux Driver

Whether it is a big or small update, every month AMD releases a new Catalyst package for both Linux and Windows for their supported ATI Radeon products. Last month in the Catalyst 8.01 Linux driver the changes had just consisted of a few bug fixes and nothing more. Today the Catalyst 8.02 Linux driver has been released, and like last month, it's short on the change-log. The fglrx changes are very brief and the driver version is still in the 8.45 release stream and wasn't even bumped to 8.46.x.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Anybody know if compiz and the 1.4 xserver work with this driver?

Regards

Comment

Yes it works. Michael, please mention that AIGLX/Compiz works with Xserver 1.4+ now!

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        Yes it works. Michael, please mention that AIGLX/Compiz works with Xserver 1.4+ now!
        Added in about Compiz + X Server 1.4.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I'm a bit confused, why are you calling the drivers 8.01 and 8.02 while ATI itself speaks of 8.1 and 8.2?

ATI Catalyst? 8.1 Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver

Comment

and the driver version is still in the 8.45 release stream and wasn't even bumped to 8.46.x.
            let's hope that's no typo.

it would be neat if, say, users got 8.45.x "branch" for a while with simple maintenance fixes, while developers would have more time to work on 8.46 for the next release with more time to actually focus on "getting things done" instead of trying to meet deadlines.

i'd like to see one release with new features coming out once per three months, and two maintenance releases in between.

Comment

Originally posted by puntarenas View Post
              I'm a bit confused, why are you calling the drivers 8.01 and 8.02 while ATI itself speaks of 8.1 and 8.2?

ATI Catalyst? 8.1 Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver

It's pretty inconsistent everywhere, just look at the downloads...

8.01 is used there. It's only consistent from AMD after September
              Michael Larabel

Comment

8-01 means 2008-01 january, not the "version" itself. I know that the version is basicly the same "year-month". But 8.1 would be the correct naming, as it has been for the Windows platform for years.

And article no. 1000 will be... *waits*

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                  And article no. 1000 will be... *waits*
                  Articles 1000 - 1006 are already (or 99%) done ... 1000 will be going up in about 16 hours and it looks at the history of Ubuntu's boot performance (with Bootchart) results going back several releases.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

Nice

I'm glad they are focusing on stability for this release. I'm happy, and here's why:

* Compiz/AIGLX mode is improving, scrolling is better in Firefox. Can't use Compiz yet, though, due to non-functioning video playback and flickering OpenGL apps. Seems like VSYNC is still in pretty bad shape in general (at least on my hardware).

* No more crashes on logout !

* The "firegl_free_mutex"-errors showing up in the kernel log with fglrx 8.01 are gone (http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=996).

* I often use dual monitors and have experienced crashes/X segfaults when changing resolution, this might work better now.

* There must be some improvements/fixes in the OpenGL core, since I used to get artifacts in the Foobillard game when using rendered ball reflections, but those are gone in 8.02.

My hardware: ATI X1400 mobile, Lenovo Thinkpad Z61m.

Comment

Working...
                    X