Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Game Publishing Shuts Down PenguinPlay

Phoronix: Linux Game Publishing Shuts Down PenguinPlay

Linux Game Publishing has quietly shutdown PenguinPlay, the game match-making service offered by the UK-based company that ported games to Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Who's gonna fix my X3 DRM!
    Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
      Who's gonna fix my X3 DRM!
      I think you will should ask Egosoft about technical support for X3.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
        Goodbye and good riddance. Not that anyone used it anyway.
        But is there a working matchmaking service available? I don?t think so, because I searched for one a couple months back, and while I stumbled on penguinplay I didn?t find anything I could use.

Comment

So is that all they are doing these days? Shutting things down? Do you need a fulltime CEO for that? Other staff(is there any?)?

Comment

SaaS platform and API for client acquisition, compliance screening and relationship management. Customer Lifecycle Intelligence by FullCircl.

"Follow companies and directors to see their recent activity, including filed accounts, returns and appointments."

Linux Game Publishing

Looking to get started with FullCircl products? Look no further! Quickly get access for exactly the products you need to identify & acquire, verify & onboard, retain & grow.

Tux Games

Looking to get started with FullCircl products? Look no further! Quickly get access for exactly the products you need to identify & acquire, verify & onboard, retain & grow.
            Last edited by gbudny; 24 February 2013, 10:16 AM.

Comment

"Meanwhile, another Linux Game Publishing property that still is online but has seen better days (at least the web-pages are serving, but not necessarily customer orders) is the Tux Games online store."

In 2012 Linux Game Publishing removed Tux Games from thle list of LGP resellers:

Linux Game Publishing - Producing commercial games for Linux

Last edited by gbudny; 24 February 2013, 11:40 AM.

Comment

The Linux Game Tome web site is online again after I asked about it on IRC in the #linuxgames channel at Freenode. Apparently it's still owned by Michael (lgp-michael) the former CEO and not LGP. It's full of spam but volunteers are working on cleaning it up:

Comment

Similar to how GameSpy recently cut service for many "classic" games (NWN being one dear to Linux users), then shut down completely.

Everything is moving to vertically integrated platforms in the AAA space. Being a company that paid to port games just sucked when normally a big studio pays a porting house to make ports to oddball platforms like the Wii or PS3 which are drastically different than the original XBox/PC versions (Wii requires an entirely different, low-quality renderer, scaled down tedxtures/models/animations, etc.; no Nintendo platform before the Wii U even supported shaders of any level, which modern renderes all make extensive use of; and the PS3 ports required a lot of work to utilize the SPUs and under-powered GPU properly, as what worked well on the XBox often doesn't work at acceptable speeds on the PS3 hardware, and vice versa).

Making a company that _buys_ rights to port games to a platform with a comparatively tiny market share is just daft, and this conclusion was pretty much foregone. Making a consultation company to be paid to port games, like Icculus does, makes way more sense. Even then, you'll make _way_ less porting to Linux than you will as a PS3 porting house, simply because companies will invest more in ports to platforms that offer way higher revenue potentials, although Icculus certainly makes enough (if not a lot) doing what he does.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
                    Similar to how GameSpy recently cut service for many "classic" games (NWN being one dear to Linux users), then shut down completely..
                    NWN for Linux was a terrible version of this game.

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
                    Making a company that _buys_ rights to port games to a platform with a comparatively tiny market share is just daft, and this conclusion was pretty much foregone.
                    Linux Game Publishing established in the time, when many game companies wanted stop make games for Linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X