Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current situation of Adobe Flash player on linux

Hello,

Haven't been using linux for a while so I would like to ask what is the current situation of adobe flash player - have they implemented video acceleration, does it still hog all of the cpu? It would be crazy if they haven't done that yet

Thanks

If you're using Google Chrome, yes. Acceleration works and CPU usage is low. Google took over Flash maintenance from Adobe on Linux, but that means that you have to use Chrome's PPAPI Flash plugin (comes by default with Chrome). The NPAPI plugin that you install in Firefox and other compatible browsers has been abandoned.

So if you're using Chrome, Flash is good. If you're on another browser, Flash is going to suck for you.

This happens to be the sole reason why I switched from Firefox to Chrome. Firefox is the better browser IMO, but Flash made me change camps.

Comment

Yeah what he said. Google Chrome does Flash perfectly fine, forget about the rest.

Comment

I'm waiting for the day when we can finally get rid of flash entirely. HTML5 adoption can't come fast enough.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
          I'm waiting for the day when we can finally get rid of flash entirely. HTML5 adoption can't come fast enough.
          Even with a very fast HTML5 adoption there will still be a very huge amount of Flash based content on the web. No one will convert that to HTML5.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
            Even with a very fast HTML5 adoption there will still be a very huge amount of Flash based content on the web. No one will convert that to HTML5.
            Someone could write a HTML5-based webapp that runs arbitrary flash pages in an emulator. In fact I wonder why isn't someone doing just that?

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
              Someone could write a HTML5-based webapp that runs arbitrary flash pages in an emulator. In fact I wonder why isn't someone doing just that?
              AFAIK, Mozilla Shumway is aiming at that.

Comment

Flash actually works fine in Firefox for me, albeit it isn't the latest version. (But they are pushing out security updates.) And I guess the video acceleration only works for NVIDIA GPUs? Can't say because that's all I use so I wouldn't know any different.

I think my Chromium is also using the NPAPI version.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  I think my Chromium is also using the NPAPI version.
                  You need "libpepflashplayer.so" from Chrome, because Chromium doesn't include the proprietary plugins (Flash and a PDF reader). And for Chromium to use it, you need to launch it with "--ppapi-flash-path=/path/to/libpepflashplayer.so". On Gentoo you'd put that in "/etc/chromium/default".

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    You need "libpepflashplayer.so" from Chrome, because Chromium doesn't include the proprietary plugins (Flash and a PDF reader). And for Chromium to use it, you need to launch it with "--ppapi-flash-path=/path/to/libpepflashplayer.so". On Gentoo you'd put that in "/etc/chromium/default".
                    Interesting. Thank you. I sometimes use Chromium over Firefox because the JS performance of Firefox on Linux is really, really bad for some reason. Chrome / Chromium is much better.

Comment

Working...
                    X