Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brosis View Post
    Bug fix speed for Intel is ~14 days.
    Annoying bugs always take longer https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=49571

Seriously, intel has all sorts of problems with their driver unless you use lts kernels and software that has been tested for some months.
    From 3.6 you get these hangs, in 3.8 rc I think I had one variation reported and it got fixed quite quickly I think, perhaps it fixed some others too. I still sometimes can trigger it, maybe once every 20 minutes when playing nitronic rush. Now however it can recover after a few seconds without losing 3d acceleration so it's not that bad anymore.

Currently in 3.9 rc and also in 3.8 it sometimes gets stuck when trying to from/to a tty to/from X.
    Code:
    [11538.531257] [drm:atom_op_jump] *ERROR* atombios stuck in loop for more than 5secs aborting
    [11538.531262] [drm:atom_execute_table_locked] *ERROR* atombios stuck executing D46E (len 62, WS 0, PS 0) @ 0xD48A
    They are the driving force behind opensource and especially behind opengl. They work very hard with community and drivers are superb.
    Yes, they do. But in my experience AMD does too. Try reporting a bug in the open source radeon driver and you have a good chance that in less than a day someone will have looked at it and posted a response or a patch to test.

Nvidia is virtually bug-free. They also don't need community since their driver is superb.
    I think they got better recently. A year ago or so I wasn't even able to rotate the screen without getting rendering glitches or X crashes in ubuntu.

opensource HD7xxx - fail. Hardware is available since over a year.
    Apparently s3tc is missing from radeonsi. That's not very good. On the other hand, many things render just fine, i.e. xonotic on "ultra" details. Performance could be better but is ok for now.

Comment

GMA500/600 is not Intel.
      Yet they still shipped it with their SoC's, they knew the full consequences of doing so and they should be held responsible for their actions in these cases.
      To say that Intel is completely open source is a fallacy due to this fact.

Bug fix speed for Intel is ~14 days. They are the driving force behind opensource and especially behind opengl. They work very hard with community and drivers are superb.
      Nvidia is virtually bug-free. They also don't need community since their driver is superb.
      Radeon also has a fast bug fix rate, not as high as Intel but still more than other community driver efforts.
      Also, to say that closed source drivers are bad and then to say the community isn't needed because said closed source drivers are 'superb' is very hypocritical.
      One should always strive to have both adequate open and closed source drivers, so that if support is dropped on the closed side the open side can continue to support that hardware.
      But, as such a proponent for these closed source drivers you seem to miss the point entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
        Yet they still shipped it with their SoC's, they knew the full consequences of doing so and they should be held responsible for their actions in these cases.
        To say that Intel is completely open source is a fallacy due to this fact.
        This is same as optimus and powerexpress. Short-term rendezvous nobody really like.

Radeon also has a fast bug fix rate, not as high as Intel but still more than other community driver efforts.
        Yes, Intel is dedicated only to open driver with all its developers. Hence there is more of them and the driver is better.

Also, to say that closed source drivers are bad and then to say the community isn't needed because said closed source drivers are 'superb' is very hypocritical.
        One should always strive to have both adequate open and closed source drivers, so that if support is dropped on the closed side the open side can continue to support that hardware.
        But, as such a proponent for these closed source drivers you seem to miss the point entirely.
        The point is - there should just be good drivers.
        A big wish if these good drivers are open too.

But "one should always strive to have both adequate open and closed source drivers" :O.. wow, no comment, speechless.

If the driver is good, there is no need in community.
        If the closed drivers are bad, there is nothing a community can do. If they are open - its opposite side of things, provided there is documentation and dedication.
        Documentation is partial, dedication is partial, there are two drivers which are lacking, but you are proud to have them in this state.
        Well, congratulations they found a customer xD
        Last edited by brosis; 27 March 2013, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
          Annoying bugs always take longer https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=49571

Seriously, intel has all sorts of problems with their driver unless you use lts kernels and software that has been tested for some months.
          From 3.6 you get these hangs, in 3.8 rc I think I had one variation reported and it got fixed quite quickly I think, perhaps it fixed some others too. I still sometimes can trigger it, maybe once every 20 minutes when playing nitronic rush. Now however it can recover after a few seconds without losing 3d acceleration so it's not that bad anymore.
          I think it is glued to OpenGL 3 transfer. I noticed a lot of problems on old Intel hardware when switching from 3.5. But I also see how fast and agressive they fix all issues reported, which is remarkable.

I think they got better recently. A year ago or so I wasn't even able to rotate the screen without getting rendering glitches or X crashes in ubuntu.
          Multimonitor support is achilles heel of nvidia.

Apparently s3tc is missing from radeonsi. That's not very good. On the other hand, many things render just fine, i.e. xonotic on "ultra" details. Performance could be better but is ok for now.
          Can you confirm you have HD7xxx working? What card? What kernel, mesa, xorg versions? Because from what I read, its huge mess and even long-term supporters switching from HD3xxx cry out loud and bust in tears.

Comment

HD 7970m with intel ("amd enduro") with prime. prime support for radeonsi with xf86-video-ati and glamor is in the respective git master branches since a few days. I can't comment on radeonsi before that since it obviously wasn't supported for me.

Linux 3.9rc4, mesa git, glamor git, xf86-video-intel git, xorg git, xf86-video-ati git. Should be about it.

Comment

HD 7970m with intel ("amd enduro") with prime. prime support for radeonsi with xf86-video-ati and glamor is in the respective git master branches since a few days. I can't comment on radeonsi before that since it obviously wasn't supported for me.

Linux 3.9rc4, mesa git, glamor git, xf86-video-intel git, xorg git, xf86-video-ati git. Should be about it.
              Kk. thanks a bunch!
              You use git nearly everywhere, so I suppose you are on source based distro?
              Just calculating the time it needs to hit binary ones... :/

Comment

Try reporting a bug in the open source radeon driver and you have a good chance that in less than a day someone will have looked at it and posted a response or a patch to test.
                I reported a serious bug (FireMV 2400, a current product afaik, still listed on amd.com - kernel does not boot, xorg does not work) and got no response. I gave up and sold the card. I have a FireMV 2250 and that works ok but only has dualhead.

launchpad.net: xserver-xorg-video-ati : 157 New bugs, 400 Open bugs.

Having said that, it is possible that my experience was atypical.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
                  launchpad.net:
                  Well, there's your problem.

I personally had good experiences on https://bugs.freedesktop.org/ and https://bugzilla.kernel.org/

Comment

I personally had good experiences on https://bugs.freedesktop.org/ and https://bugzilla.kernel.org/
                    FYI Intel pro-agressively communicates and researches bugs on launchpad as well.
                    They also look up and compare them to bugs registered on freedesktop.
                    They are also ready to provide distribution specific patches to older kernels (call this patch backporting) AFAIK free of charge.

Comment

Actually the bug I was referring to was already reported on freedesktop.org by someone else. But it would make sense for ATI/AMD to respond to bugs on Launchpad, because that is where Ubuntu users report bugs, and Ubuntu is the most popular desktop distribution.

Comment

Working...
                      X