Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PenguinPlay closed down (Linux Game Publishing)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PenguinPlay closed down (Linux Game Publishing)

Hi

I just want to inform you that LGP closed down PenguinPlay website:

"PenguinPlay.com is for sale (Penguin Play)
    Click here to buy PenguinPlay.com for $1,595"

Internet Archive:

"PenguinPlay is a website for Linux gamers, allowing matchmaking for multiplayer games, and social networking.[42] LGP added PenguinPlay lobby for six games:

Ballistics
    Candy Cruncher
    Jets'n'Guns
    Knights and Merchants: The Shattered Kingdom
    Majesty Gold
    Sacred: Gold Edition"

How about just one official linux-gaming IRC channel.. or some client software that uses IRC channels as backbones and XMPP for instant messaging? Solves the situation entirely....
    They need to pay for this website, if they implement it this way, means they need Ads and game sells - but both are tied to marketshare, so they should seek to bring exclusive titles to allocate crowd, which they didn't do.
    Thanks for heads up though!

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
      How about just one official linux-gaming IRC channel.. or some client software that uses IRC channels as backbones and XMPP for instant messaging? Solves the situation entirely....
      If you?re going to use IRC, why add XMPP to the mix?

Besides, I don?t understand how an IRC channel would ?solve the situation entirely?. IRC can be used to simplify network communications from a programming point of view (I wrote an IRC bot for a multiplayer game a few months ago, was fun), but still, there is a lot to code: authentication, matchmaking, preventing non-players from joining the games channels, whitelisting of private messages to avoid in-game spam, high-scores database, NAT traversal? Or am I missing your point?

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
        If you’re going to use IRC, why add XMPP to the mix?

Besides, I don’t understand how an IRC channel would “solve the situation entirely”. IRC can be used to simplify network communications from a programming point of view (I wrote an IRC bot for a multiplayer game a few months ago, was fun), but still, there is a lot to code: authentication, matchmaking, preventing non-players from joining the games channels, whitelisting of private messages to avoid in-game spam, high-scores database, NAT traversal… Or am I missing your point?
        The client will use IRC library and according channel for common chatroom, and XMPP for buddies and messaging communication.
        For example, generate and allow to manual add a list of available online-playable games.
        This list of games with ID is the only one thing that should be updated with client.

Connect to IRC to get list of users, be able to GET this list from each connected users individually via IP we got over IRC,by asking their gameclient directly. Its just a tiny number file.
        This will allow completely server-less network.

Well, then people can talk over XMPP (up to webcam talk etc) directly, create own buddy list etc. Using plain normal XMPP, for example from libpurple or alike.
        Or they can do this using any other XMPP client... this idea was completely optional, but still nice. Think of steam, but without content distribution side; plain game list sync, find appropriate buddies, ability to talk with them and call game executable at click of the button.

Comment

Working...
        X