Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Favorite Command For Ubuntu Touch/Tablet

Phoronix: My Favorite Command For Ubuntu Touch/Tablet

Here's some more details on my adventures with the Ubuntu Touch Developer Preview after experimenting with it for a little more than 24 hours on the Google Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 devices...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder how does canonical plan to maintain these kernels going forward. Are they going to simply rely on CM?

Single kernel soc support can't come soon enough.

What are the hard kernel requirements anyway? I assume ICS/JB compatible kernel...

Comment

Wayland port

So all they need to do now is help bring about Wayland quicker, port Unity to Qt/QML and Wayland and the phablet/tv interface to Wayland and then you'll have what it says on the package: one codebase to rule them all.

Comment

Are you able to run X11 and normal ubuntu apps at all?

Sounds like I'd rather just run Android and have Ubuntu in a chroot which I've been able to do for years.

Nonetheless, I'm still looking forward to seeing how Canonical's efforts with their touch interface turn out next year.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation of how things work, that helped clear some concepts up!

Comment

I can see GTK-favoring developers having a hard time taking this approach seriously. First of all, this would mean porting GTK to run on SurfaceFlinger- there are already so many efforts going into Wayland that I doubt this is on the radar for the GTK+ devs at all. Also, if Ubuntu does eventually port everything to Wayland, it would open up Enlightment's libraries and GTK to run easily on Ubuntu Touch, but would likely sacrifice the broad device compatibility they are currently offering. So this puts many areas of the developer community in a tough spot if they really want to create a UI for each experience. Some applications are simply not modular enough to support a Qt frontend out of nowhere on a mobile device, but many current GTK apps would make a lot of sense if adapted for a tablet.

I really want this to work out, but the community is so spread out- I think a lot of developers who would support this just won't come around until everything's made a bit more seamless. Of course, this doesn't matter for any traditional smartphone OS- just get enough developers that will work on your platform. Qt is becoming quite the starlet of mobile development, as we had hoped. However, Ubuntu's going for a much broader vision- to provide a conformant set of useful apps that act similarly across form-factors. It's going to take a while to get there, even if the important and visible apps come over.

All this skepticism aside, it's still a nice platform and quite interesting if it can really dock to provide a full (ARM) desktop experience. Once we get an image that can do this, I'll definitely be trying it out since it feels like the right way to converge the experiences (unlike, say, Windows 8).

Comment

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
              I can see GTK-favoring developers having a hard time taking this approach seriously. First of all, this would mean porting GTK to run on SurfaceFlinger- there are already so many efforts going into Wayland that I doubt this is on the radar for the GTK+ devs at all. Also, if Ubuntu does eventually port everything to Wayland, it would open up Enlightment's libraries and GTK to run easily on Ubuntu Touch, but would likely sacrifice the broad device compatibility they are currently offering. So this puts many areas of the developer community in a tough spot if they really want to create a UI for each experience. Some applications are simply not modular enough to support a Qt frontend out of nowhere on a mobile device, but many current GTK apps would make a lot of sense if adapted for a tablet.

I really want this to work out, but the community is so spread out- I think a lot of developers who would support this just won't come around until everything's made a bit more seamless. Of course, this doesn't matter for any traditional smartphone OS- just get enough developers that will work on your platform. Qt is becoming quite the starlet of mobile development, as we had hoped. However, Ubuntu's going for a much broader vision- to provide a conformant set of useful apps that act similarly across form-factors. It's going to take a while to get there, even if the important and visible apps come over.

All this skepticism aside, it's still a nice platform and quite interesting if it can really dock to provide a full (ARM) desktop experience. Once we get an image that can do this, I'll definitely be trying it out since it feels like the right way to converge the experiences (unlike, say, Windows 8).

It would make more sense for Canonical to move their desktop Unity UI to Qt. If they are serious about their "convergence" strategy then Qt is the only option that makes sense.

Comment

Now if you can't run X11 apps.... and you can't run android apps, if I understood well...... what the ..... can you run on this OS? Of course all CLI programs ported to ARM. Fine. But what about web browsers? Standard firefox? No.... gtk X11 apps.... same for chrome. The android versions? Ehm no....

Really Canonical what was wrong with Mer and X11, then migrate to Wayland when it is ready?.... Well I'm sure you have a solution to this.... but I don't know if I will like it

Comment

Internet access not working in the the chroot

I've gotten into the ubuntu_chroot, but once inside, I'm unable to ping the ports.ubuntu.com server, or anything for that matter. The browser is still capable of browsing though. This is odd... if I could just use apt-get, I could do so much more.

Edit: it seems the DNS is unable to resolve.. hmm. any tips?

Edit 2: I changed /etc/resolv.conf to point to 8.8.8.8 (Google's DNS) and it works.
                  Last edited by coder543; 24 February 2013, 02:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X