Ubuntu Touch/Tablet Is Using SurfaceFlinger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    The HPC industry doesn't use display servers. In fact the GPUs used in HPC systems don't even have video outputs.
    Of course. But developing and supporting a Linux driver is important for these companies in any case.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      No Linux distribution is going to force the hands of NVIDIA or AMD, since your average Linux distribution makes up about zero percent of the consumer market.
      On the other hand, even wayland has a higher percentage of use under the desktop hardware than SurfaceFlinger does right now.

I think people are overestimating the usefulness of SF here. Porting their desktop drivers to SF won't give them android compatibility. The drivers are hundreds of MBs, and no one wants that on Android. A large portion of that is x86 assembly code, too. That's why nvidia has completely separate drivers for their Tegra hardware running android, from everything else running under linux.

If they unified everything under SF, perhaps there might be 1 or 2 small benefits from it, but I just don't see the big payoff that most people seem to be assuming. They'll still have to support X for backwards compatibility as well, which is where most of the complexity lies.

Assuming that supporting Wayland will take minimal work from the drivers (which is what we've been told) then I don't see why NVidia/AMD wouldn't support Wayland once Red Hat starts enabling it on their distros. It will come down to exactly how hard it is to support. The more work it is, the less likely it will be to succeed.

Comment

Originally posted by gururise View Post
        Michael,

Can you please include Nexus 4 in your upcoming Linux benchmarks of Nexus 7 and Nexus 10.
        It all comes down to how many views/interest the first 7/10 benchmarks get to see if I can justify buying a Nexus 4 too.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I don't think Canonical is doing a good choice using Android components for its Ubuntu tablet/phone. The problem with android is that it is developed behind closed doors and every now and then the code is dropped. Google will always have a technological advantage, Canonical will be left out of the development, and google will have the power to just kick Canonical out of the market, since Canonical has not the man power to fork android components and develop them. I hope this is not their long term plan.

But even in the short term plan, why not choosing something like mer? Plasma active is going to be shipped on the vivaldi tabled and it will be based on mer! I really don't understand this choice.... in any case I hope we will have yet another alternative to the standard android OS..... I really don't like it

Comment

1. Canonical isn't using Android. It's using the kernel of the phones that come with Android which are supplied by the vendor.
            2. They'd need the same drivers/kernel on their phone anyway.
            3. Have you looked at Plasma Active? It's complete crap with miniscule controls on a touch interface. Designed by idiots.

Comment

The driver problem should be a non-issue.

As long as their display server is using egl, the drivers should work.
              FFOS looks to be using their own display server.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                3. Have you looked at Plasma Active? It's complete crap with miniscule controls on a touch interface. Designed by idiots.
                Its written in QML....fixing that is literally 10seconds of work. And seriously, "designed by idiots" ? Every decision KDE made since 4.0 has been either the right one, or the case of "Right idea, bad implementation." In which case of the second one they've always gone back and fixed the implementation. (4.10 fixed Nepomuk, and 4.10.1 will fix the fix >_> since someone made a last-second commit to save memory that ended up being buggy)
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
                  The problem is Linux was getting no where on mobile device due to the lack of driver support. <SNIP>
                  So that's what libhybris* was/is for, disappointing that they didn't go (roughly) the same route as Sailfish, with something that's more closely related to a full Linux/FOSS stack for mobile.
                  Seems like they've chosen the cowards path, I'm rooting for Jolla/Sailfish even more now. I still wish Ubuntu well, but it's moved considerably down my interest list.

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                  1. Canonical isn't using Android. It's using the kernel of the phones that come with Android which are supplied by the vendor.
                  It's more than just that, you make it sound like it's only that, sounds like you need to read the thread again.

*1st devised by one of Jolla's engineers, now has been forked/built-on heaps, even used in this CM-based Ubuntu.
                  Last edited by jalyst; 24 February 2013, 12:28 AM.

Comment

How have they ported X application to their system with SurfaceFlinger?

I wonder how they have ported X application to their system with SurfaceFlinger. Because normal Ubuntu consists of X applications.

If they have created an X server ontop of SurfaceFlinger, then I could use it to display my X programs on my phone screen (Android). Is this possible?

Or Ubuntu supports only a limited set of applications in their Touch distro?

Comment

Working...
                    X