Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Pushes Linux Support For Chromebook Pixel

Phoronix: Google Pushes Linux Support For Chromebook Pixel

It was just earlier today that Google announced the Chromebook Pixel, a much-speculated device with a very high resolution display and high-end hardware running their Chrome OS operating system. Google has already begun pushing Linux kernel patches enabling support for this expensive Google notebook...

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Google Pushes Linux Support For Chromebook Pixel

It was just earlier today that Google announced the Chromebook Pixel, a much-speculated device with a very high resolution display and high-end hardware running their Chrome OS operating system. Google has already begun pushing Linux kernel patches enabling support for this expensive Google notebook...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMwODc
    Doesn't look like they are including the drivers, though.
    Too bad, since I've read that the new chromebook's touchpad is AMAZING. Possibly better than apple's.

Comment

Underpowered and expensive

$1299 USD for 4 GB RAM and 32 GB SSD and a 12" screen.
      Wow, this is shit expensive.

For that much money, I would expect 8+ GB RAM and 128 GB SSD and a 13" screen.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

The lowest price you're going to get on a 1080p ultrabook with an ivy bride core processor is $1099, so your paying another $200 dollars to have more than twice the pixels

The specs you mention with a similar screen can be found in the macbook pro with retina display for an extra $200 ($1499)
        Last edited by WorBlux; 22 February 2013, 09:18 AM.

Comment

The reason it's that expensive is the 1TB Google Drive space for 3 years which normally costs 1800USD.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Actually, Pixel has a 12.85" screen.
            Chromebooks are laptops, detachables and tablets powered by ChromeOS: the operating system that is speedy, smart and secure.

Comment

this is a stupid move

incredibly stupid move....

when the chromebooks first hit the market I remember some pentium XX something other = $400 - $500

they didn't sell

then they released that arm samsung chromebook for $250 and a c7 for $200

they sold like hot cakes

GOOGLE READ THIS: no one is going to pay more than $300 for a device whose only purpose is to surf the internet

get it?

no video editing, no music making, no photoshop, no office

why would someone pay $1200 for pretty much the same experience as a $250 chromebook

Comment

Hmm 1500$ web browser. Odd aspect ratio 3:2, but the resolution is very good. Don't like the touch screen and glossy panel. Maybe with matte non touch panel without OS could be the one, but then it's samsung their netbooks what I have been tried are all horrible.

Comment

In think google just created the "perfect" linux laptop. (period)

I'd like more RAM (8 or 12) and maybe a bit mofe storage. But its ok as it is. You rip the OS, you install your favorite distro and you are set. Plus it has coreboot.

I am so much buying this when i'll need a laptop. Hopefully it will not be US only.

Comment

2560x1700 resolution? I wish I could find that somewhere cheaper. I hope that actually goes somewhere.
                    It's actually just barely taller than what Torvalds was asking for.

I actually prefer the slightly rough nature of Thinkpad trackpads, though...

It looks like they're marketed with the 3-year cycle in mind, so here's hoping we see used ones when that finishes.
                    I'd hate to be stuck paying for google drive at the end, though.

Now...swap in a ~$100 ssd if you want more disk space. Not sure how easy it would be to add more ram.

Comment

Working...
                    X