Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: SDDM - QML Based Display Manager

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adiyaman, Turkey
    Posts
    36

    Default SDDM - QML Based Display Manager

    Hi,

    I am developing QML based display manager. I know for a long there was a high demand in creating a QML interface for KDM. Since this never materialized and KDM codebase is huge and somewhat complicated for me, I took the alternate route and wrote my own display manager from stratch.

    Being fond of KISS, I tried to keep code simple and dependencies minimum. Only dependencies are PAM, Xlib and Qt. No dependencies on kdelibs or whatever. Code is around 700 lines according to sloccount. As a result of this featureset is somewhat limited compared to bigger ones: no remote connections, no xdmcp etc. things I had never used anyway.

    Themes are done in QML, with a few hooks provided for login, shutdown/reboot etc. You can see how things are done in the default theme. There are no restrictions imposed on theme, you can do whatever you want. But it has to be in Qt4 aka QML1 for now. Qt5 porting will done after qt5 gets a bigger install base and easier availability. After that you will be able to use gpu shader/effects in the display manager. Yaaay!

    Code can be downloaded from github repo. Service file for systemd and a PKGBUILD is also provided. You can see the PKGBUILD to understand what gets installed into where.

    Patches, bug-reports, constructive criticism and feedback much welcome. Actually themes are very welcome too, default theme is pretty simplistic. We may need some bling-bling themes to show off.

    Last edited by aavci; 01-19-2013 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Added image

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    288

    Default

    Hi,

    That looks very interesting.
    After glancing over the code very quickly i have some comments for you.

    1. First of all, why didn't you posted your repository url? (https://github.com/sddm)
    2. You are using Qt, but it seems like you prefer plains C++? Since you use a lot of things that Qt also has. For inctance, std::cerr = qError(...). QProcess can execute a command for you. QCoreApplication::arguments(); gets a QStringList of command line arguments. and there is much more like this. Your code can be a lot cleaner if you where to use that.
    3. You are using XLib directly. While this might be needed for your case, i do encourage you to write an abstraction layer. The current stuff is still X11, but wayland is really going forward now and in not too many years we well certainly see applications/desktop environments working in there. If you where to have an abstraction than porting SDDM to wayland would be "relatively" easy.


    Just some comments thus far
    Good luck developing this further, it looks interesting!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Srpska Republic, Bosnia&Herzegovina
    Posts
    109

    Default Nice

    Options to standby/hibernate planned?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pejakm View Post
    Options to standby/hibernate planned?
    My guess is that he can't easily implement that. It's not part of Qt and there doesn't seem to be a simple library for it either.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adiyaman, Turkey
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by markg85 View Post
    Hi,

    That looks very interesting.
    After glancing over the code very quickly i have some comments for you.

    1. First of all, why didn't you posted your repository url? (https://github.com/sddm)
    2. You are using Qt, but it seems like you prefer plains C++? Since you use a lot of things that Qt also has. For inctance, std::cerr = qError(...). QProcess can execute a command for you. QCoreApplication::arguments(); gets a QStringList of command line arguments. and there is much more like this. Your code can be a lot cleaner if you where to use that.
    3. You are using XLib directly. While this might be needed for your case, i do encourage you to write an abstraction layer. The current stuff is still X11, but wayland is really going forward now and in not too many years we well certainly see applications/desktop environments working in there. If you where to have an abstraction than porting SDDM to wayland would be "relatively" easy.


    Just some comments thus far
    Good luck developing this further, it looks interesting!
    Thanks for the comments. I will try to address your points below.

    • I did post the repo url, but phoronix style makes links harder to see. Not enough contrast, I guess.
    • My initial plan was to restrict the use of Qt to only needed parts. Then I gave up since I was going to use Qt in the same binary anyway, but most parts remained. Also I dont have much experience with QProcess (didnt have much with fork either ), help is welcome.
    • Xlib usage is pretty limited, just open/close display and default screen size etc. So porting should be easy when needed. Also when porting to qt5, probably a xcb port will be needed too. That would be good time to think about abstractions. I wanted to start simple and expand further as needed.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aavci View Post
    I know for a long there was a high demand in creating a QML interface for KDM. Since this never materialized …
    Well, that's because KDE’s development focus is a QML-based Greeter for LightDM: http://projects.kde.org/lightdm

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    12

    Default

    I think your project does greatly fit to Razor-qt.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adiyaman, Turkey
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
    Well, that's because KDE’s development focus is a QML-based Greeter for LightDM: http://projects.kde.org/lightdm
    QML Greeter frontend was called for long before lightdm development begun: This blogpost is from 2009 December: http://www.enricoros.com/blog/2009/1...to-kdm-presto/, first commit for lightdm-kdm-greeter shows 2011-11-29 which is a complete two years later. So they did what I did, took an alternative way. I did just different because dependency on kdelibs is a non-option for some.

    Disclaimer: I use KDE and love it. I am not trying to insult any kde or kdm developers in any way. I am grateful for what they provided.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adiyaman, Turkey
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikem View Post
    I think your project does greatly fit to Razor-qt.
    Probably. We have similar goals. In fact, I started SDDM to be the login manager for SDE (Simple Desktop Environment). A fast, simple and beautiful desktop environment based on QtQuick2/Wayland.

    This is where we differantiate with Razor. AFAIK, they are trying to be more like KDE but using less resources and only Qt. A classical approach, one might say and I am perfectly fine with it.

    But... My desire is to unleash the power of QtQuick2, Wayland and hardware acceleration to create something beatiful. Something simple and elegant.

    Anyway, I would love to see SDDM as the default display manager for Razor-qt and/or some distrubitions.

    P.S: I hope michael doesn't pull this into the front page, as a new desktop environment in the works (fingers crossed).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,194

    Default

    For now Razor is opting for a custom LightDM Greeter.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •