Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WebRTC Support Now Enabled In Mozilla Firefox

Phoronix: WebRTC Support Now Enabled In Mozilla Firefox

Just after releasing Firefox 19, Mozilla developers have enabled WebRTC support by default within this leading open-source web-browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So where is Dalaa? If I'm going to convert my entire media library into Dalaa video / Opus audio I better have a codec to use. It hurts the entire WebRTC initiative not to have launched with some provable demonstrations of the tech they wanted to push, especially since h.265 is guaranteed to be on every bluray player and mobile device in 3 years. I want Mozilla and friends to crush MPEG-LA and their patent trolling nonsense, but if you can't provide a total package solution that also kicks the butt of the incumbent it is all for naught.

Also, vp9. Where is that? This is 2013 and most videos I see are still using MPEG-2. I want to live in the sparkly future where my video containers aren't ruled by patent trolls and they use the space better than pre-2000 technology.
    Last edited by zanny; 20 February 2013, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
      So where is Dalaa? If I'm going to convert my entire media library into Dalaa video / Opus audio I better have a codec to use. It hurts the entire WebRTC initiative not to have launched with some provable demonstrations of the tech they wanted to push, especially since h.265 is guaranteed to be on every bluray player and mobile device in 3 years. I want Mozilla and friends to crush MPEG-LA and their patent trolling nonsense, but if you can't provide a total package solution that also kicks the butt of the incumbent it is all for naught.

Also, vp9. Where is that? This is 2013 and most videos I see are still using MPEG-2. I want to live in the sparkly future where my video containers aren't ruled by patent trolls and they use the space better than pre-2000 technology.
      You forgot to also demand that NASA find aliens and peace in the whole world.

Comment

We have Theora, VP8 and Dirac (Dirac is wavelet based and has lossless compression)

All open video compression formats.

(Wished Theora had variable framerate support.)

Comment

Just after releasing Firefox 19, Mozilla developers have enabled WebRTC support by default within this leading open-source web-browser
          Just what exactly is Firefox 19 leading in, with respect to HTML5 and accompanying new technologies? From what I see of the spec and its support it's far behind WebKit's solutions, including Epiphany which will run WebKit2 by default for GNOME 3.8.

Comment

within this leading open-source web-browser
            Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
            Just what exactly is Firefox 19 leading in
            If nothing else, it's leading in users.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              If nothing else, it's leading in users.
              Also, addons. Chrome still doesn't come close to the magnitude of firefox addons.

Comment

Working...
              X