Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you know how to use a computer??

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
    I've tried every mono application and all of them were unstable mess. Banshee was simply unusable while tomboy was heavier than Firefox. F-spot was much slower than its Vala equivalent, so I see no point in using this shit. When mono3 goes out it should be completely ignored by Linux community, because it's just m$ crap.
    All of your points are NOT based on factual evidence. When Mono3 comes your ignorance should be ignored...
    BTW, the Linux community includes me.
    Last edited by zezba9000; 21 February 2013, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zezba9000 View Post
      All of your points are NOT based on factual evidence. When Mono3 comes your ignorance should be ignored...
      BTW, the Linux community includes me.
      Clearly his statements are nonsense.

But whether or not a framework is good is largely unrelated to whether apps written with that framework are good. You can make a heavy C app and a light C# app fairly easily.

Comment

Originally posted by directhex View Post
        Clearly his statements are nonsense.

But whether or not a framework is good is largely unrelated to whether apps written with that framework are good. You can make a heavy C app and a light C# app fairly easily.
        Yes that is true, but I would argue it is far more productive and generally easier to write large code bases with a language like C# vs C/C++. Depends on the context but I think most applications we use on a daily basis would fall in that category, even games.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
          When mono3 goes out it should be completely ignored by Linux community, because it's just m$ crap.
          What do you mean, when it goes out?

The bottom reads:
          Code:
          	mono-3.0.0.tar.bz2	19-Oct-2012 19:27	 39M	 
          	mono-3.0.1.tar.bz2	08-Nov-2012 19:04	 39M	 
          	mono-3.0.2.tar.bz2	05-Dec-2012 21:33	 64M	 
          	mono-3.0.3.tar.bz2	08-Jan-2013 23:17	 63M
          I have built mono 3.0.3 and then I have built monodevelop 4.0 with it (building monodevelop 4.0 was almost twice as fast with mono 3 than with mono 2 perhaps because there were fewer versioning warnings).

I don't have anything against mono per se. If it was specified by microsoft, who really cares? What matters is that the implementation is free software and it seems microsoft keeps its promise and is really not interested in sueing over it.

But it's not nice that in monodevelop 4 the code view and source/designer tabs are not working at all. There is no error message about it at all.

The (german) translation is obviously not complete but I don't really care about it. Just doesn't look complete that way.
          Last edited by ChrisXY; 21 February 2013, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
            I don't have anything against mono per se. If it was specified by microsoft, who really cares?
            At the end of the day, Mono has the potential to be the forbidden fruit of the GNU based world. It is an easy way in, to attract CLI applications to ease into the Linux space and have few growing pains, that we could attract the swathe of developers Microsoft trapped in its Visual Studio clutches. But then, since Microsoft controls the spec, they can just throw poorly documented bull like what happened with DirectX into the CLI or C# standard (similar to how their published documentation of docx when they were trying to standardize it was obtuse) and abuse the fact that a lot of software might depend against Mono at that point, and new developers would expect whatever obfuscated nonsense Microsoft throws in.

Combine that with how Xamarin distances themselves from the Linux desktop like this, and it matters less the freedom arguments, but the reality that if new developers for the GNU stack start turning to Mono, they risk becoming tangled in a toolchain and stack that is always at risk for depreciation by the source or provider.

Mono is good for the Linux desktop for its compatibility potential, but as a software platform for anyone bringing new software to Linux, it has a lot of potential danger wrapped in it, compared to other available platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
              At the end of the day, Mono has the potential to be the forbidden fruit of the GNU based world. It is an easy way in, to attract CLI applications to ease into the Linux space and have few growing pains, that we could attract the swathe of developers Microsoft trapped in its Visual Studio clutches. But then, since Microsoft controls the spec, they can just throw poorly documented bull like what happened with DirectX into the CLI or C# standard (similar to how their published documentation of docx when they were trying to standardize it was obtuse) and abuse the fact that a lot of software might depend against Mono at that point, and new developers would expect whatever obfuscated nonsense Microsoft throws in.
              And yet they don't encounter these difficulties with mobile developers. iOS and Android are attractive development platforms for people used to .NET on Windows, and there aren't many complaints of "where is this esoteric MS.NET bug".

Combine that with how Xamarin distances themselves from the Linux desktop like this, and it matters less the freedom arguments, but the reality that if new developers for the GNU stack start turning to Mono, they risk becoming tangled in a toolchain and stack that is always at risk for depreciation by the source or provider.
              Xamarin is not a Linux company, because over more than a decade of development and providing advanced development platforms under Free licenses, all they ever got was abuse. Why bother, when there are less abusive markets happy to open their wallets and actually fund development?

Mono is good for the Linux desktop for its compatibility potential, but as a software platform for anyone bringing new software to Linux, it has a lot of potential danger wrapped in it, compared to other available platforms.
              Okay, abuse and FUD.

Comment

They shown their true faces...

"Their New Code IDE Is Not For Linux" - oh, these .net f...ks have shown us their faces and what to expect from 'em in future.

Comment

Originally posted by 0xBADCODE View Post
                  "Their New Code IDE Is Not For Linux" - oh, these .net f...ks have shown us their faces and what to expect from 'em in future.
                  Except the article isn't true, you're just ranting & raving following your preconceptions, not reality.

Comment

Working...
                  X