No announcement yet.

Xamarin 2.0, Their New Code IDE Is Not For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the end-user POV in my respect, I remove all instances of mono. I'm running Cinnamint on my main machine and it just runs a lot more reliably afterwards, with less crashing. No banshee for me. Mint could still use some polishing but that's understandable considering their migration off older techs. Cinnamon definately smacks your desktop performance (Athlon X4 955 and Ti550 with Xedgers binary) compared to the likes of Mate, but eh. It's rool purdy.
    Hi

Comment

XamarinStudios 4 is MonoDevelop 4 (With a new name)

XamarinStudios 4 is "Open Source" because its just MonoDevelop 4 with a new name.
      Just like Googles Chrome is basically Chromium shipped with closed source peaces, it looks like Xamarin is just doing the same thing. This does not mean "XamarinStudios" is a closed source project. Even looking in the about dialog it say's its under the GPL licence.

Here is even a commit to MonoDevelop(aka XamarinStudios) on github calling MonoDevelop XamarinStudios: https://github.com/mono/monodevelop/...d8dfd7181fd64e

Comment

The title of this post is not accurate.

In response to: "Xamarin 2.0, Their New Code IDE Is Not For Linux"
        -- This is simply not true. Because the IDE is just MonoDevelop 4 with a new name. I would suggest updating the first post as to not give false or misleading information.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
          From the end-user POV in my respect, I remove all instances of mono. I'm running Cinnamint on my main machine and it just runs a lot more reliably afterwards, with less crashing. No banshee for me. Mint could still use some polishing but that's understandable considering their migration off older techs. Cinnamon definately smacks your desktop performance (Athlon X4 955 and Ti550 with Xedgers binary) compared to the likes of Mate, but eh. It's rool purdy.
          Less crashing because you uninstalled Mono makes literally no sense... its not even running unless you run an application that uses it.... While I think its stupid not every little peace of mono isn't Open Source (like MonoTouch & MonoDroid), most of it is and its funny how many C# mono bashing is going to take place here based on false information. Mono is not going away and in fact is getting a lot bigger. Its a great development environment for Linux and for good reason. There are a lot of great developers out there using C# and for them to have a reason to support Linux is a good thing, not a bad one.

Comment

Originally posted by blinxwang View Post
            Seriously, why is Miguel De Icaza still on the GNOME team?
            What's your definition of being "on the GNOME team"? It is well known that he isn't active since many years.

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
            I would like to know why gnome didn't kick this moron from the planet gnome, yet?
            From https://live.gnome.org/PlanetGnome

I stopped contributing to GNOME two years ago. Can I still stay there?

Sure, no problem. We still love you

Comment

Originally posted by blinxwang View Post
              Seriously, why is Miguel De Icaza still on the GNOME team?.
              What makes you think he is? I mean, sure he was one of the founders of the project, but that was a long time ago now. He started work on Mono sometime around 2003, and while he kept working on both of them for a while, I don't think he's had anything to do with Gnome in the past five years or more.

Comment

Originally posted by zezba9000 View Post
                Less crashing because you uninstalled Mono makes literally no sense... its not even running unless you run an application that uses it.... While I think its stupid not every little peace of mono isn't Open Source (like MonoTouch & MonoDroid), most of it is and its funny how many C# mono bashing is going to take place here based on false information. Mono is not going away and in fact is getting a lot bigger. Its a great development environment for Linux and for good reason. There are a lot of great developers out there using C# and for them to have a reason to support Linux is a good thing, not a bad one.
                I removed mono-cil and all related software like banshee and replaced with packages like rhythmbox. The mono-bashing, as an end-user in this instance, is technically merited and justifiable in my opinion that anything mono based was not happy on my system, and I replaced accordingly and couldn't be happier with the replacements. Nothing false about that. The dev's chose to work with an environment that wasn't happy with me. I adjusted to suit. Nothing against mono per se in these instances, and the only thing I can really be 'faulted' for is not bringing forward my 2 cents the lack of performance and reliability and bug reports etc. I chose to use something for me.

Thank you OSS world.
                Last edited by stiiixy; 21 February 2013, 03:16 AM.
                Hi

Comment

The wrong doings of Qt and Mono are not acceptable. I hope KDE one day will learn to say no. Just like gnome. There is not much these days for KDE since they started to transfer their own code to Qt and thus giving in to the anti-freedom license trap of Qt.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                    I removed mono-cil and all related software like banshee and replaced with packages like rhythmbox. The mono-bashing, as an end-user in this instance, is technically merited and justifiable in my opinion that anything mono based was not happy on my system, and I replaced accordingly and couldn't be happier with the replacements. Nothing false about that. The dev's chose to work with an environment that wasn't happy with me. I adjusted to suit. Nothing against mono per se in these instances, and the only thing I can really be 'faulted' for is not bringing forward my 2 cents the lack of performance and reliability and bug reports etc. I chose to use something for me.

Thank you OSS world.
                    Well if you just don't like "banshee" i'm with you there... But I use Mono heavily and its a very stable platform for application development. A language with a good IDE and syntax can greatly improve a developers productivity and help them resolve bugs. Also I wont be a big fan of Ubuntu(which it sounds like your using) until they move there software over to a rolling release and let the developers handle bugs fixes when there found, rather then forcing everyone to use outdated bugged software for 6 months. Maybe Ubuntu 14 will be the one

As a end user your opinion matters, but from a technical stand point, i'm telling you there is nothing wrong with Mono itself. If anything "banshee" was written poorly. When Mono 3 comes out, there will be even more reason for developers to use it as it now has MS's open source stack and huge performance increases. Ill be releasing games for Linux with Mono. Until something replaces C# for my needs I have to use it. At the moment nothing compares for my targets.

Comment

Originally posted by zezba9000 View Post
                      In response to: "Xamarin 2.0, Their New Code IDE Is Not For Linux"
                      -- This is simply not true. Because the IDE is just MonoDevelop 4 with a new name. I would suggest updating the first post as to not give false or misleading information.
                      It's true, because their code doesn't serve Linux, but m$. Mono is anti-Linux crap.

Comment

Working...
                      X