Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XFS On Linux 3.9 Takes Care Of Open Issues

Phoronix: XFS On Linux 3.9 Takes Care Of Open Issues

The XFS file-system update for the Linux 3.9 kernel isn't particularly exciting, but it does address some open bugs and regressions for this still very relevant and competitive Linux file-system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

3.8.x

I hope the bugfixes also get into 3.8.x.

Comment

I see that NAS devices use XFS. Does that mean it is better than ext4 in storage role?

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
        I see that NAS devices use XFS. Does that mean it is better than ext4 in storage role?
        I'd recommend a relatively recent talk on the state of XFS:
        Filesystems are being asked to scale to larger configurations every week. They need to store more files, larger amounts of data and be able to index that dat...

From my point of view, it is the most sane option for a general-purpose filesystem on Linux and will apparently stay that way until Tux3 is ready.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalles View Post
          I'd recommend a relatively recent talk on the state of XFS:
          Filesystems are being asked to scale to larger configurations every week. They need to store more files, larger amounts of data and be able to index that dat...

From my point of view, it is the most sane option for a general-purpose filesystem on Linux and will apparently stay that way until Tux3 is ready.
          My testing with a heavily used Squid proxy had XFS showing so much CPU load (30.xx and sometimes more) at only 80% file system usage, I had to give up on it. This was around 3.3 kernel. With EXT4, CPU load is usually down around 0.80 as Squid is really not a heavy CPU user, it's a heavy I/O and memory user. Anyway, this was a very negative experience for me and I'll not use XFS again - your milage may vary.

Comment

Working...
          X