NVIDIA Releases GeForce GTX "TITAN" GPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    Michael, it's $1000. Why do you insist on writing 999?
    No matter how hard I try, what language I use, 999 != 1000. Maybe that is also the reason why when I try to substitute 3 for Pi I get wildly different answers.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      No matter how hard I try, what language I use, 999 != 1000. Maybe that is also the reason why when I try to substitute 3 for Pi I get wildly different answers.
      999 is a marketing gimmick and no one should play into that. For all intents and purposes, it's 1000.

"Oh look, this normally costs $1000, but they have it on sale for $999 today. What a bargain!"

Yeah, right. It's OK when the sellers want to bullshit me. It's their job. But when Phoronix bullshits me too, it's not OK. It's one thousand bloody dollars, OK?

Comment

999 is a marketing gimmick and no one should play into that. For all intents and purposes, it's 1000.

"Oh look, this normally costs $1000, but they have it on sale for $999 today. What a bargain!"

Yeah, right. It's OK when the sellers want to bullshit me. It's their job. But when Phoronix bullshits me too, it's not OK. It's one thousand bloody dollars, OK?
        If you want to split hairs, one is accurate and the other is a generalization. I think you might be making a mountain out of a molehill here.

But to be playfully pedantic here for just a second, people like you are the reason that bridges fall down.

Comment

Originally posted by Larian View Post
          If you want to split hairs, one is accurate and the other is a generalization. I think you might be making a mountain out of a molehill here.

But to be playfully pedantic here for just a second, people like you are the reason that bridges fall down.
          I don't know about you, but I've never met anyone who would tell me "I bought this for 49.99" or "for 799". And with "tell me", I mean actually talking to me. It seems that when you're actually talking to someone, all the "99"s go away. It's when people write that all the nines are creeping in. I wonder why that is.

It's not a real issue of course. It's just that I go into facepalm mode every time I see someone do this and think: "Dude, $49.99 is practically $50, which is way easier to remember when thinking about price ranges." One cent in 50 dollars or one dollar in a 1000 dollars is not going to make any difference whatsoever. The only thing this achieves is making you look like you actually believe that 49.99 is really cheaper than 50 and 999 cheaper than 1000, as if this would put those products in different price ranges. It bloody doesn't!

I'd better stop now, have to watch my blood pressure.

Comment

But when Phoronix bullshits me too, it's not OK. It's one thousand bloody dollars, OK?
            But it is not, it is 999.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              but it is not, it is 999.
              ha! :d 123

Comment

Working...
              X