Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Firefox 19 Release Today Brings The PDF Viewer

Mozilla is releasing today version 19 of the Firefox web-browser. Firefox 19.0 is another exciting release on the feature front...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMwNTc
    Since the internet does not make it possible to beat up outright idiots, I really hope Mozilla will switch to date-based Firefox naming.

Comment

Originally posted by mayankleoboy1 View Post
      and thats the major announcement for Firefox ? That it has PDF reader ? Which was available as pdf.js addon ages ago.
      What happened to those times when 1 major version change brought tons of improvements. ?
      :sigh:
      I believe that PDF.js was disabled by default in previous releases as it was too buggy so now its been enabled in FF 19. I have yet to grab it and test it though to see if it is usable enough without the Adobe Reader plugin

Comment

Release notes

Comment

First PDF I loaded was a fairly simply W2 (US tax document). 1 Page, standard text inside of boxes, and Firefox pegged a core the entire time it was open. Yet another point in Chrome's favor, which rendered the document perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
            Anyone capable of sharing quick first impressions about the PDF viewer in FF 19? Will it be able to smoothly open my ~900 page electronic edition of my book complete with pictures? Is it capable of text search? Full screen? Auto resize? Select and copy? Can it handle forms?
            I just tested out the Obamacare document. The firefox plugin does a good job. However, it's not as good as the Chrome plugin imo.

Comment

Originally posted by locovaca View Post
              First PDF I loaded was a fairly simply W2 (US tax document). 1 Page, standard text inside of boxes, and Firefox pegged a core the entire time it was open. Yet another point in Chrome's favor, which rendered the document perfectly.
              Can you share the link so we can see the problem too?

I think Mozilla mainly intends this viewer to be a previewer, to handle the 99% of cases where someone just wants to quickly browse through a PDF and then forget it. If you want advanced functionality, forms, etc. then i think they would still recommend sticking with Adobe's PDF viewer, or whatever plugin you are currently using.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                Can you share the link so we can see the problem too?

I think Mozilla mainly intends this viewer to be a previewer, to handle the 99% of cases where someone just wants to quickly browse through a PDF and then forget it. If you want advanced functionality, forms, etc. then i think they would still recommend sticking with Adobe's PDF viewer, or whatever plugin you are currently using.
                No, I actually won't share the link to my W-2. It's a rather personal financial document. It is not a "form" in that it has data input, however.

Here's a sample of a different doc, it doesn't peg my CPU, but Firefox' memory usage shoots up about 300 megabytes to render and scroll the form.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  If you are using Linux then Evince is great.
                  If you are using Windows then Sumatra PDF is great.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    If you are using Linux then Evince is great.
                    If you are using Windows then Sumatra PDF is great.
                    Or on Linux and using the KDE desktop Okular does a reasonable job as well if all you want is to scan through a PDF

Comment

Originally posted by locovaca View Post
                      No, I actually won't share the link to my W-2. It's a rather personal financial document.
                      I don't think you were being asked to share your details. I read the comment as assuming that the W2 to which you were referring was a publicly available document, and effectively just asking for that link.

Comment

Working...
                      X