Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Releases Catalyst 13.2 Beta 6 For Linux

Phoronix: AMD Releases Catalyst 13.2 Beta 6 For Linux

AMD has made available a new Catalyst Linux graphics driver for Linux, the Catalyst 13.2 Beta 6 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    No official driver change-log has not been made publicly available via AMD
    Proofreading, it works bitches.

jk: http://xkcd.com/54/

Comment

I hear it fixes the Steam Big Picture segfault.

Comment

Backlight adjustment still broken... I hope this is fixed for the final release...

Comment

Still no out of the box support for kernel 3.7, AMD still sucks.

Anyone interested in buying a HD6870? I will replace it with an Nvidia card, enough is enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
            Still no out of the box support for kernel 3.7, AMD still sucks.

Anyone interested in buying a HD6870? I will replace it with an Nvidia card, enough is enough.
            not sure what you're talking about, I have a 5750 with kernel 3.7.8 and it works fine for me. you apparently don't know how to i stall the drivers properly. if you're using the installer for their website, you have to reinstall the kernel headers associated with the driver, which is a pain in the ass. distros like Ubuntu take care of that mess for you but you might not get the most cutting edge software. I'm personally using arch and installed the catalyst drivers from the AUR with relatively little effort.

But, depending on how well you take care of the card and how much you're willing to sell it for, I wouldn't be against buying it hah.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              not sure what you're talking about, I have a 5750 with kernel 3.7.8 and it works fine for me. you apparently don't know how to i stall the drivers properly. if you're using the installer for their website, you have to reinstall the kernel headers associated with the driver, which is a pain in the ass. distros like Ubuntu take care of that mess for you but you might not get the most cutting edge software. I'm personally using arch and installed the catalyst drivers from the AUR with relatively little effort.

But, depending on how well you take care of the card and how much you're willing to sell it for, I wouldn't be against buying it hah.
              The AUR package from Arch is already patched, so of course it is working for you. I am talking about using the vanilla installer on a system with kernel 3.7, out of the box without patching. It simply does not install complaining about missing header files, which are present on the system. That kernel is more than two months old, today its successor was released, most distros have a patched version of the drivers, but AMD developers are not able to support that kernel. Either they are lazy, incompetent or both.
              Since that kernel is still not supported I assume that they support the same kernel versions as with 13.1, so the latest supported kernel which is not EOL already is 3.4, released May 2012. That is pathetic.

Edit: I think that shipping costs from EU to USA would make selling the card to you not really a viable thing.

Comment

You do realize this is an unpolished BETA driver?

In any case, wait until your distro pics it up. Ubuntu edgers should have it already in their PPA. Arch/Gentoo will probably too. All other distro's ... just be patient and wait Complaining just to complain and wanting and nVidia card isn't helping anyone.

Yes, AMD hasn't got the 'perfect' always working awesome installer and usually is behind in kernel releases. But also, package maintainers pick up this slack and do the hard work for you. As we always tell manufactures we will.

Personally, I say take your nVidia card and shove it into some "We don't care about libre-software" nVidia hole. As a gentoo (and occasional Ubuntu) user, I have used the binary blobs since my 9500Pro and haven't had huge issues.

Comment

Originally posted by oliver View Post
                  You do realize this is an unpolished BETA driver?
                  Which is actually great.
                  I didn't realized AMD provides frequent (public) beta drivers lately.

Comment

The drivers are so great that they do not even fix the issues mentioned in the changelog. I mean everybody can read:

"[369298 ]: Resolves a Serious Sam 3 launching and corruption issue with Ubuntu 12.04/12.10 and AMD Radeon? HD 7000, 6000 Series GPU"

First of all it also affects HD 5000 and there nothing was fixed - i dont have got HD 6000/7000, but i doubt it was fixed there - did anybody try? Second that driver requires that you do:
                    Code:
                    rm -rvf ~/.steam/root/SteamApps/common/Serious\ Sam\ 3/Temp/ShaderCache/
                    In order to be able to start Serious Sam 3 at all...

Comment

Working...
                    X