Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The windows version is still 50,- cheaper

Comment

i bought a full-hd/i7 dell laptop 2 years ago, for 1750?, i'm sorry to say that but i never saw such a poor quality product (dead pixel, poor finishing : case parts didnt match firmly , screen hinge play ...)
      The worst part was the after sale service : so incompetent, that when calling them, half of the time they didnt even know the existence of the highest-end model of the brand
      it ended in lot of money loss in useless calls, they never accepted a return(for refund or repair) and only offered me to take a screwdriver and to open the computer with them by phone in order to try to fix the various hinges !!

i had no other alternative than re-selling it immediately for half price instead of crying every time i would see the laptop (i need my computer every second i'm not sleeping)

maybe this kind of behavior is ok for 300-500e laptops but certainly not for >1500? products
      and maybe the laptop dell division is different from the desktop division

so, perhaps it's only my personal story but my conclusion is that dell only want your money and dont care at all about your problems with their products, and i will never recommend anyone to buy a so called "high-end" laptop from dell

Comment

Originally posted by adrenochrome View Post
        i bought a full-hd/i7 dell laptop 2 years ago, for 1750?, i'm sorry to say that but i never saw such a poor quality product (dead pixel, poor finishing : case parts didnt match firmly , screen hinge play ...)
        The worst part was the after sale service : so incompetent, that when calling them, half of the time they didnt even know the existence of the highest-end model of the brand
        it ended in lot of money loss in useless calls, they never accepted a return(for refund or repair) and only offered me to take a screwdriver and to open the computer with them by phone in order to try to fix the various hinges !!

i had no other alternative than re-selling it immediately for half price instead of crying every time i would see the laptop (i need my computer every second i'm not sleeping)

maybe this kind of behavior is ok for 300-500e laptops but certainly not for >1500? products
        and maybe the laptop dell division is different from the desktop division

so, perhaps it's only my personal story but my conclusion is that dell only want your money and dont care at all about your problems with their products, and i will never recommend anyone to buy a so called "high-end" laptop from dell
        What series? The XPS line is typically a fairly well built product (I've got the XPS 13z, both my parents have 17inch XPS's and theyre all very good builds). If you go for the Inspiron line, then yeah quality can suffer.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

the serie was alienware and the model m15x

Comment

Weird... I have a Vostro 1500 since 2007 and its working like a charm... No problem at all... never...

Comment

Yea, I think the m15x is still based on the old alienware series laptops and not on Dell's designs? If so, I'd say that explains why you got a poorly built computer. Alienware was terrible before Dell bought them, almost every laptop had overheating problems out of the box. People used to always say bad things about Compaq, but I had a Compaq laptop that lasted me about 8 years with one motherboard replacement and a couple of hinge replacements, it also had overheating problems where you couldn't game on it for more than a couple hours before the blazing hot keyboard got really uncomfortable.

Now I've got a Dell Inspiron R Special Edition. It's the same physical size but it's a lot more heavy than my old Compaq but it runs a lot cooler and I can feel when I pick it up that it's got a lot more copper in it and the vent is 2.5X larger. CPU is rated to 100C but *never* goes above 50C.. I like it a lot because you can game on it all day and all night and it never feels hot.

Comment

To anyone here saying "wait for Haswell version": Haswell laptops won't really arrive until half a year from now, and by then Microsoft might kill the Sputnik project anyway. Remember Microsoft got a stake in Dell now? I don't want it to happen, but it likely will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Krysto View Post
                  To anyone here saying "wait for Haswell version": Haswell laptops won't really arrive until half a year from now, and by then Microsoft might kill the Sputnik project anyway. Remember Microsoft got a stake in Dell now? I don't want it to happen, but it likely will happen.
                  If I recall, Haswell is targeted for laptops in Q2 2013 and that hasn't changed. Intel isn't known to miss release dates. The big improvement with Haswell is going to be graphics performance, so much so that you probably don't need an AMD or nVidia graphics chip for mobile gaming anymore. This is a good thing since it seems Intel is a lot better at supporting their graphics cards under Linux than both AMD and nVidia.

With Haswell, Intel is going to directly compete against AMD and nVidia. Talk about stepping up to the plate..
                  Last edited by Sidicas; 18 February 2013, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
                    That's a little more than I am willing to pay for a laptop that doesn't have a trackpoint or an ethernet port.

Seriously, I am getting tired of Thinkpad, you would think that after 10+ years that someone else might get a clue and try to also make a good laptop that isn't a ripoff, espcially now that Lenovo is has risen to number one??!
                    Try a Precision, then.
                    I personally am sticking with Thinkpads (I have an 11.6" X100e), but my brother has a Precision laptop he got from the Dell Outlet for ~$650 (standard price is closer to twice that). There's a backlit keyboard with a (black, concave-topped) trackpoint and full keyboard (including numeric keypad).

Of course, Precision is "mobile workstation", which means more workstation and not much mobile (15.6" or 17.3" screen).

Comment

Originally posted by Ibidem View Post
                      Try a Precision, then.
                      I personally am sticking with Thinkpads (I have an 11.6" X100e), but my brother has a Precision laptop he got from the Dell Outlet for ~$650 (standard price is closer to twice that). There's a backlit keyboard with a (black, concave-topped) trackpoint and full keyboard (including numeric keypad).

Of course, Precision is "mobile workstation", which means more workstation and not much mobile (15.6" or 17.3" screen).
                      Would be sticking to Thinkpad also, without much second thought, if they hadn't switched the keyboard, not that I am not willing to give the new key a chance, but give back the 7-row keyboard damnit.

Not that the chance to go elsewhere I high anyway, not like there anyone else making 7-row keyboard laptop left that I know.
                      Last edited by iniudan; 18 February 2013, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X