Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2FS File-System Shows Hope, Runs Against Btrfs & EXT4

Phoronix: F2FS File-System Shows Hope, Runs Against Btrfs & EXT4

Being released soon is the Linux 3.8 kernel and one of its many new features is the introduction of the F2FS file-system. The "Flash-Friendly File-System" was developed by Samsung and is showing promise as a new Linux file-system designed around the characteristics of flash-based storage devices. In this article are the first benchmarks of F2FS compared to Btrfs, EXT3, EXT4, XFS, JFS, and ReiserFS file-systems.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What about Tux3?

Comment

Not fsyncing data to the "disc" is OK-ish for me. Reason : It is developed primarily for flash storage.

Comment

Originally posted by mayankleoboy1 View Post
        Not fsyncing data to the "disc" is OK-ish for me. Reason : It is developed primarily for flash storage.
        Another nice thing is that this filesystem will mostly be used on devices with a battery. In theory this means that it's less likely to experience a sudden power loss. At least, most phones shut themselves down when their battery gets dangerously low. This won't protect data integrity when the kernel crashes, or the user yanks the battery, but it's something to note.

Comment

Originally posted by mayankleoboy1 View Post
          why should that be a reason???

Comment

Originally posted by a user View Post
            why should that be a reason???
            Just guessing here, but probably because write times are so fast that its unlikely for the power to die (considering its on battery) at the exact moment something important is in the cache. Also constant fsyncs ruin flash medium lol
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by EmbraceUnity View Post
              What about Tux3?
              I'm guessing cause its not in the Kernel tree.

Comment

I have sdcards, flash pens, external hd's, etc etc

they are all in either exfat or fat32

so FUCK YES this needs to happen and happen fast

I also question phoronix:

WHY THE FUCK are you comparing f2fs to ext4 etc? and in a linux install? who the fuck cares

here's an idea: HOW ABOUT A RELEVANT FUCKING TEST like comparing f2fs perfomance to exfat and fat32 in SD cards and USB pens ???

y r people so stupid ffs

Comment

Calm down, I'm using F2FS for half a year on my mailserver and am a happy user of it.
                  I don't care a bit re smearing test and benchmarks. I just use it, because I like the code. And the concept.
                  Who cares - let do the test and prove or disprove his dreams coming true or shattering to pieces.

Comment

"Who cares "

I DO

my mp3's/flacs are the most precious things I have, I'm not happy with exfat.

If f2fs is proven to be SAFE and stable, with the same speed as exfat, I'm gonna start formatting all of them

Comment

Working...
                    X