Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: KDE's Plasma Active Running Nicely On The Nexus 7

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,660

    Default KDE's Plasma Active Running Nicely On The Nexus 7

    Phoronix: KDE's Plasma Active Running Nicely On The Nexus 7

    If you're curious about loading up the KDE Plasma Active desktop on your Google Nexus 7, here's the state of KDE in the mobile space...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMwMzc

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Tallahassee. FL
    Posts
    128

    Default

    Too bad plasma and that stupid cashew blow chunks... What the hell happened to KDE...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    39

    Default Yeh I mean as if Plasma wasn't useless enough on desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by jmcharron View Post
    Too bad plasma and that stupid cashew blow chunks... What the hell happened to KDE...
    Myself wasn't so impressed with it, but then I never liked Plasma on a desktop. I mean can someone please tell me what bennefit it brings ? Aren't we really passed junk apps being on the dekstop. Recall when people first started to write web pages, and sites would use flashing text as bling. Boy were they annoying, and thats what Plasma reminds me of. Of course with all the hundreds of special effects settings, 90% of which are equivlant to a large fart sound being played, tells you that Plasma and KDE are focused on users under 12 who still think fart sounds emiting from a computer is Kool. Plasma has been a solution looking for a problem for a looong time. No where in the demo did I see any text input happening, and the user looked like he was trying to select screen items very very carefully - with the device laying flat and him/her touching the screen like it was white hot or he/she had severe arthritis.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,937

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkCloud View Post
    Myself wasn't so impressed with it, but then I never liked Plasma on a desktop. I mean can someone please tell me what bennefit it brings ? Aren't we really passed junk apps being on the dekstop. Recall when people first started to write web pages, and sites would use flashing text as bling. Boy were they annoying, and thats what Plasma reminds me of. Of course with all the hundreds of special effects settings, 90% of which are equivlant to a large fart sound being played, tells you that Plasma and KDE are focused on users under 12 who still think fart sounds emiting from a computer is Kool. Plasma has been a solution looking for a problem for a looong time. No where in the demo did I see any text input happening, and the user looked like he was trying to select screen items very very carefully - with the device laying flat and him/her touching the screen like it was white hot or he/she had severe arthritis.
    Guys, plasma is just a framework for writing desktop elements.

    There are many plasmoids which are pure bling, but you don't need to use them. With KDE 3, you had a desktop and a panel. If you want that, you can still have it. Put a panel on the edge of the screen and that's it. You don't even have to know that the panel is a part of "plasma".

    You still have the choice.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Guys, plasma is just a framework for writing desktop elements.

    There are many plasmoids which are pure bling, but you don't need to use them. With KDE 3, you had a desktop and a panel.
    and the most instable DE in history. it crashed even more than windows on that time.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Tallahassee. FL
    Posts
    128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a user View Post
    and the most instable DE in history. it crashed even more than windows on that time.
    Sorry NO, that would be KDE 4...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkCloud View Post
    Myself wasn't so impressed with it, but then I never liked Plasma on a desktop. I mean can someone please tell me what bennefit it brings ? Aren't we really passed junk apps being on the dekstop. Recall when people first started to write web pages, and sites would use flashing text as bling. Boy were they annoying, and thats what Plasma reminds me of. Of course with all the hundreds of special effects settings, 90% of which are equivlant to a large fart sound being played, tells you that Plasma and KDE are focused on users under 12 who still think fart sounds emiting from a computer is Kool. Plasma has been a solution looking for a problem for a looong time. No where in the demo did I see any text input happening, and the user looked like he was trying to select screen items very very carefully - with the device laying flat and him/her touching the screen like it was white hot or he/she had severe arthritis.
    Fart sound has its value at the correct time. You might be looking for something sophisticated solution, but to make this market going what you really need is exactly something that is appealing to 12 years olds. People who are enthusiastic about things. People who are doing things just for the sake of it. It is cool. You probably don't even understand what cool means. All those people in business cares are functionality and usefulness and benefit. They think that's what drives demand. They are not wrong but they are really narrow minded.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkCloud View Post
    Myself wasn't so impressed with it, but then I never liked Plasma on a desktop. I mean can someone please tell me what bennefit it brings ? Aren't we really passed junk apps being on the dekstop. Recall when people first started to write web pages, and sites would use flashing text as bling. Boy were they annoying, and thats what Plasma reminds me of. Of course with all the hundreds of special effects settings, 90% of which are equivlant to a large fart sound being played, tells you that Plasma and KDE are focused on users under 12 who still think fart sounds emiting from a computer is Kool. Plasma has been a solution looking for a problem for a looong time. No where in the demo did I see any text input happening, and the user looked like he was trying to select screen items very very carefully - with the device laying flat and him/her touching the screen like it was white hot or he/she had severe arthritis.
    And isn't that terminal running glmark2-es demonstrates text input?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    586

    Default

    The active version has nothing to do with Cashews.

    My greatest gripe with it is the same reason I don't like Oxygen. Oxygen is flat, beige, and shiny, and it looks busy while also looking gaudy to me. I go with Ember, a flat black theme, mainly because I like dark themes, but I also don't like the busyness.

    I hope Plasma Active has themes support. Hell, if it can theme support the desktop themes, that would be amazing. I like a lot of features of it, and seeing it run well is really great. When I get a new tablet I might stick it on my current Nexus 7 just to see how well it works in practice.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    188

    Default

    That UX is even laggier than my 3 year old phone running android 4.2

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •