computer - amplifier interfcace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• computer - amplifier interfcace

I'm confused as to how to connect my computer sound output to my amplifier in the best way. There is so much talk about SPDIF being the best way. SPDIF, can it be connected to the CD input on an amplifier, or do I need some other type of input?

To be more specific I have the NAD 325BEE amp and a Audigy 2 zs. Anyone who has similar equipment woh can comment on how they connect it?

SPDIF is the protocol used over the "optical" and "coax" inputs on a receiver/amplifier. If you want to connect to CD inputs you would probably want to use line-level stereo outputs from the sound card.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      SPDIF is the protocol used over the "optical" and "coax" inputs on a receiver/amplifier. If you want to connect to CD inputs you would probably want to use line-level stereo outputs from the sound card.
      I see, thanks. I'm using line level analogue output from the soundcard to the aux input on my receiver. Works ok, but since the general consensus seems to be that the best setup is SPDIF to a optical/coaxial input on a receiver, it would be interesting to try it out.

It seems the audigy 2 zs has digital output from one of the mini-jack outputs, and that I can use a minijack to coaxial converter to inout this SPDIF signal to the receiver. I'll see if I can find such a converter. Also, to try this out, I'll need to get a new receiver with optical or coaxial input. Should have thought ahead when I purchased this eqipment I guess.

I could get SPDIF from the onbord motherboard (old asus p4s533) sound, but only by using a extra bracket module that was not delivered with the mobo, and is not sold any more it seems.

Comment

Believe it or not, Radio Shack used to have those converters.

The main reasons for SPDIF are (a) it's an easier way to get 5.1 audio wired in, and (b) depending on card and receiver, the receiver may have lower noise and higher quality DACs than the sound card.

If you're only looking for stereo signals (that NAD is a stereo amp, isn't it ?) then (a) doesn't apply so only (b) would be an argument for using SPDIF. If you're running stereo and aren't getting noticeable hum or noise then you could just stay with line-level.
        Test signature

Comment

Working...
        X