No announcement yet.

Valve Celebrates Steam For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gawd this is awesome. Just bought 12 games that I thought looked cool before, but didn't want enough to pay full price. It was insanely cheap for what I got, I'm really impressed and thankful.
    I'm more of a First Person Shooter (and Skyrim) type gamer, so I'll buy any of those games first-day, full-price if they're good (really looking forward to Interstellar Marines, L4D, and CS:GO (if it's in the works).

Things are looking good for Desktop Linux.

Intelligent rolling-release models on user-friendly distros & Wayland are just around the bend. AAA game engines like Unreal & Unity are ported to Linux, surely more will follow. Valve is pushing driver developers for better Linux support (we're looking at you AMD) and putting Linux in front of millions of gamers faces. In a year or two Linux could have arguably the best desktop experience out-of-the-box for the widest audience (DEs asside). Mac and Windows make you pay for OS upgrades while tomorrow's Linux OSs will just stay up-to-date automatically, free of charge.

Don't get me wrong, stigmas ("by programmers, for programmers", "terminal-required geek os", etc..) will last for years, and it'll probably take at least 5-10 years before Linux has an equal number of Major App/Game Devs writing same-day Linux support, but it's definitely headed in that direction.

Comment

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
      Most systems are x86_64 now aren't they? When I go to install on Fedora 18, it wants to pull in a crapload of i686 software and libraries. It would be nice if they compiled it for native x86_64.
      Many games are still compiled for 32bit (even if they take advantage of SSE 3.0+ operations) to save on memory, so it's not so much Steam that requires the 32bit libraries, but the games that do. That said, I do believe Steam's webview is 32 bit, as it requires the 32bit version of Flashplayer.

Comment

Most systems are x86_64 now aren't they? When I go to install on Fedora 18, it wants to pull in a crapload of i686 software and libraries. It would be nice if they compiled it for native x86_64.
        If you really think how many games are made for x86_64. Even on windows there is no difference. I dont find it trouble as long as the libraries tend to work. Hard-drive space is pretty cheap these days...

And related to AMD thingy. Just bought new HTPC few weeks ago and upgraded with it this week. All full of AMD O.o (well basicly cause i thought that 6670D would have been fast enough to run my rocksmith under windows but no ) But im using mythbuntu on it too so hoping that AMD will get those linux drivers rolling atleast.
        Last edited by Dehir; 14 February 2013, 05:28 PM.

Comment

That's a lot of amazing games for cheap prices. It's cheaper then smoking a pack of smokes.

Comment

Originally posted by Dehir View Post
            If you really think how many games are made for x86_64. Even on windows there is no difference. I dont find it trouble as long as the libraries tend to work. Hard-drive space is pretty cheap these days...

And related to AMD thingy. Just bought new HTPC few weeks ago and upgraded with it this week. All full of AMD O.o (well basicly cause i thought that 6670D would have been fast enough to run my rocksmith under windows but no ) But im using mythbuntu on it too so hoping that AMD will get those linux drivers rolling atleast.
            I don't think the complaint is hard drive space so much as it's "Oh great... another goddamned thing I have to micro-manage". But more than that, I think having both 32 and 64 bit libraries on the same machine strikes some as backwards, redundant, and sloppy. Mind you, I'm not in this camp, as managing tedious information and handling mindless, repetitive tasks is what a computer is for in my sight.

Comment

Steam doesn't want my money

I hoarded games and DLCs, but Steam became unresponsive

fix ur servers plz

Comment

My body is ready Valve! Take me...(and my money)

Comment

Games are mostly all i686. You'll be syuck pulling in those deps anyway to actually play anything.

Comment

can steam be setup to properly install games into the system or does it have to do that thing there it just makes some folder in your /home directory and dumps everthing there.

Comment

Thats it! till now i have had only humble bundle titles and tf2 free on steam, but i think i must grab some super sales now

Comment

Working...
                      X