Valve Celebrates Steam For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by asdx
    I write code in Linux with vim, etc, and run postgresql, mongodb, I use web development tools like Ruby on Rails, and it would suck having to reboot to Windows every time I want to launch a game, so it would be easier if I could just pirate the games on Linux, give them a try, and then buy them on Steam, etc.

I haven't used Windows in like 13 years, I run Linux full time (archlinux x86_64), and I do everything on Linux. I'm not going back to Windows, not even for gaming.

I don't want to pirate "Linux", and I don't want to pirate "open source", that makes no sense, I want to pirate the Steam games that are available for Linux, like HL, Counter Strike, and the single player games that are available on Steam for Linux. Does that makes sense?
    So, in practise you want that gamers and GNU/Linux users around the world pay of the games, so that it is profitable for Steam to publish, advertise, and support them on GNU/Linux platform, so that you could pirate the games?

You want that people pay so that you can pirate?

Rather interesting.

Edit: Not sure if I should pay so that you could pirate because you don't seem to have lack of money.
    Last edited by moilami; 17 February 2013, 11:09 AM.

Comment

• If you go buy food do you taste it before you buy it? Of course if you go to a grocery you don't have to try the food before buying because you know from your past experiences what to expect. But if you try something new. Then you might have a chance to wait for a freebie "try this" sample or you would just have to buy stuff blindly?

I am wondering why gamers think they should have some special rights to try games without paying. Just because it is possible to try a game for free does not mean they have the right to do so? Or does it?

Comment

Yeah whatever... I'll just buy the games.

*yawn*
        Don't begin to yawn when I found this interesting

In the Good Old Days (tm) I went to a game shop and if I was interested of some game I thought I could buy, if good enough, I asked can I try it. I always could.

I am thinking that Steam could do better than it is doing now. Steam is excellent platform for better customer service.

Steam could give customers a chance to try a game for one hour for free. With DRM that would be trivial to implement. Steam would keep a database of games the customer has tried for one hour so that a customer could not abuse his rights. Steam would give the chance to try a game only to respected customers (to avoid account creation spamming). That is how things work in real life too.

Steam would get better data for marketing with the new "customer's rights" feature, and "respected customers" would get "benefits"

Comment

As I said, I'm not a gamer, and I don't even have that much of an interest for gaming anymore... I'm a Linux user, and I love FOSS, if I didn't, I wouldn't be using Linux since the last 13 or so years primarily, I would be using pirated Windows, but I don't and I won't.

Please don't talk without knowing. And yes, I hate DRM and I'm pro FOSS.
          why do you want pirate games if you are not a gamer```? ? ?? ``? ` ?``? ` ``??` ? ??`???``???

I can not get the point of your writing.... is there any evil force to force you into a DRM trap for stuff you do not even want ?

are you in danger? do you need help?

Comment

• their cumming

Comment

• u can't hide

Comment

• Rofl you win

Anyway, Steam is the redeemer for GNU/Linux.

What was the problem for long? "I can't do gaming in linux". Now that is less of a problem. All pieces on the puzzle are slowly integrating into one Big Picture.

The situation:

+ video drivers are becoming better
                + gaming is possible

- no photoshop

Comment

• Originally posted by moilami View Post
                  - no photoshop
                  Its simple: they port it to Linux or we improve gimp to a level of our need.

Comment

• Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                    Now if just AMD wouldn't be the assholes they are and actually support the 'legacy' drivers for 2000 3000 and 4000 series I could actually play the games and not constantly get SRGB compression extension in opengl not found error when launching a source engine game.
                    Thought we fixed that in the latest legacy driver (13.1)... ??
                    Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                      Now if just AMD wouldn't be the assholes they are and actually support the 'legacy' drivers for 2000 3000 and 4000 series I could actually play the games and not constantly get SRGB compression extension in opengl not found error when launching a source engine game.
                      look dud, go to amd website, download drivers 13.1 and just install them, fix many problems, with SRGB stuff and segfaults, and stop bitching, ok?

Comment

Working...
                      X