No announcement yet.

Valve Celebrates Steam For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am still quite the newbie but if open source software is so great, why aren't GIMP and the AMD drivers kicking ass compared to their proprietary counterparts?

Comment

• Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
      I am still quite the newbie but if open source software is so great, why aren't GIMP and the AMD drivers kicking ass compared to their proprietary counterparts?
      I use the open-source driver and gimp and my work always kick ass!

Example:

Comment

I am still quite the newbie but if open source software is so great, why aren't GIMP and the AMD drivers kicking ass compared to their proprietary counterparts?
        Not sure if trolling or serious (it's hard to tell on these forums so please take no offense) but it's really not as black and white as that.

Comment

I use Inkscape, Gimp, MyPaint, Krita, and Blender professionally. I used to use Illustrator/Photoshop/Maya/etc, but those don't run on Linux (well), so I embraced the Open-Source alternatives and guess what? In a lot of ways, for what I do, they work better. Don't get me wrong, they have their rough edges, and they don't have near as much industry support, so you'll always be able to find fancy plugins for the standards, etc.

The reason no one wants to use them is they have to fight an uphill battle, and just haven't won on every front yet. Adobe & Autodesk pay for the spot-light position. No one is dumping millions of dollars into getting the OpenSource tools into schools, and internet ad campaigns, etc. But, just like Linux, they can't be stopped, and will continue gaining features and support support until the commercial competitors are dumping millions into their products for only a few unique features. At that point, it simply isn't profitable trying to compete, and new development (even commercial) will be put into expanding the "open standard" tools.

Much of the example work on my resume (http://reign-studios.com/philipwitte/) is made using open-source tools on Linux (Arch, GnomeShell).
          Also, a few things I've made with open tools which aren't on my resume:

- Nimrod Language - New Web Design (Inkscape, Gimp)
          - Paper Tanks (Inkscape, Gimp, MyPaint)
          - Space Pizza Delivery (Blender, Inkscape, Gimp, MyPaint)
          Last edited by F i L; 18 February 2013, 10:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
            The fair thing would be a try before you buy model, not with a demo, but the WHOLE GAME for 24 hours. The FULL version. Let the client appraise the quality of game and make his choice if he wants to support you or not. Let him judge if the price you ask is fair or not.
            Steam does this all the time. They haven't had a free weekend for Linux title yet, but I'd say it's only a matter of time till we see one.

As for the pirates... Idiots that deserve to get their box pwnt.

If you want to pirate a game pirate a Windows only title. As has been stated many times 90% of the Linux titles have or still are available DRM free either from their developer's sites or where part of a HIB.

Sure I pirate music all the time as well, but I actually go see most bands in concert which makes them far more then buying the album anyways and if their music is available through a site like Bandcamp I buy it in FLAC.

Comment

You just need to try Gnome 3 to see how Free Software rocs

Comment

• Originally posted by asdx
                To all of you:

Nobody cares what you want.

Comment

• Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                  I am getting rendering errors on de_lego in counter-strike source.

Card: radeon 3470 mobile with 13.1 legacy driver. The rendering is correct in all other levels I have tried until now.

Any ideas what that might be or how to fix it if it's not a driver issue?
                  I didn't play de_lego yet. I've played a lot of custom maps including awp_lego, but I haven't found any rendering problems.

Comment

• Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                    I am getting rendering errors on de_lego in counter-strike source.

Card: radeon 3470 mobile with 13.1 legacy driver. The rendering is correct in all other levels I have tried until now.

Any ideas what that might be or how to fix it if it's not a driver issue?
                    I'd start by trying the free drivers (current kernel with current mesa rather than catalyst). My experience is that for the cards that amd calls legacy cards, the performance is around the same but gallium3d tends to crash less and have less rendering problems.

Comment

• Thanks for all the responses, guys. I am just a curious newb; I wasn't trolling. I did try Gnome 3 but went back to Cinnamon, moilami. It didn't feel ready yet, plus some of the extensions I wanted to use weren't up to date and thus didn't work.

Comment

Working...
                      X