Only half my video memory recognized?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only half my video memory recognized?

I have noticed that xorg.0.log reports only half of the actual video RAM of my card (256MB opposed to 512MB). CCCLE reports the correct value, however. Anybody has noticed a similar issue with their cards? I'm using a HD2900XT w/ 8.1.

Jepp, same problem here. In short: it even looks like only half of the ram really is used. To fix this, for fglrx to use all of it with this option in your /ect/X11/xorg.conf:

Code:
    Section "Device"
            Identifier      "ATI Graphics Adapter"
            Driver          "fglrx"
            BusID           "PCI:1:00:0"
            Screen          0
            # otherwise not all vram is found/used...
            Option "MaxGARTSize" "512"
    EndSection
    I just heard it yesterday night from d2kx that there seems to be this problem...

After adding this, Xorg.log.0 does report that it is using all 512MB vram.

Comment

Thats O.K. Basicaly the half of memory is accessible by CPU through AGP, and that is reported by X-server. All memory is avaiable to GPU, and that is reporced by amdcccle. Search deeply on this forum to find out more. There somewhere is long thread about that.

Edit: Ops! You probably have PCIE-version. I think that it might be applicable anyway.
      Last edited by wojtek5001; 10 February 2008, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wojtek5001 View Post
        Thats O.K. Basicaly the half of memory is accessible by CPU through AGP, and that is reported by X-server. All memory is avaiable to GPU, and that is reporced by amdcccle. Search deeply on this forum to find out more. There somewhere is long thread about that.

Edit: Ops! You probably have PCIE-version. I think that it might be applicable anyway.

Yup. Someone else in the know how explained it to me yesterday. The number in the log corresponds to the the CPU accessible memory or something like that.

Comment

Working...
        X