Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Aasrock + Vishera FOOBAR

Situation:
    Upgrade of mobo and CPU, where old one is am3+ or am3 afair asrock mobo and am3 processor

I got ram: Vengance DDR3 1600
    cpu vishera, one from phoronix review
    mobo asrock 990FX Extreme3
    2 video cards that i connect separately. nvidia 660 gtx and nvidia 470 gtx
    ssd sata 2 or 3, not sure, irrelevant
    psu 800 W corsair or crosshair or whatever it is, always mistake with those 2 brands

basically, i skip most steps. installed CPU, stick of ram(works with old mobo), video card, cooler. i connected power to mobo, power to cpu power to cooler power to vga and stick of ram into different slots, case vintilator.
    with new cpu and mobo no signs of life whatsoever. no spinning of cpu fan, no fan from case or video card. i take jumer from bious out. no rection.(i dont have power button connected yet)
    i connect psu to old mobo, take out bios jumper it just works(R). old gpu and cpu start, i connecct hdd and monitor and boot old PC

Any suggestions?
    it appears new mobo is not backward compatible with old CPU, as expected. afaik new CPU phiscially should be compatible with old mobo, whichi am going to try tonight.

any other suggestions? should i not try 8 core CPU on older mobo?

i got 8 pin power for CPU and 24 pin for mobo. mobo documentation explicetly says that 4 pin should also do.

I don't understand anything your wrote.
    What hardware did you have.
    What hardware did you buy.
    What parts did you assemble, how, what is reaction.
    What parts did you reassemble, how, what is reaction.

First, you can't insert AM3+ CPU into AM3, AM2+ or AM2 motherboard. This is because AM3+ CPU needs more power (140W+) and previous sockets can only provide 120W.
    AM3+ socket is black and the CPU pins are larger. You physically can't insert it.

Insert old CPU into new mainboard. Ensure that there are no damaged pins. Make sure, if there is BIOS reset jumper, that it is correct position (ie OFF).
    The fact that motherboard does not react at all, is power problem or very dangerous short circuit, which motherboard logic detected and refuse to power on.
    In the last problem, the motherboard usually does give short power (fans rotate just a bit) but does not power at all.

It could also be that BIOS is set default to CPU cooler auto power off, and the motherboard will not start if CPU cooler does not give the tacho signal.

You might want to remove everything, except
    properly inserted CPU with correctly connected cooler,
    PSU on 5v 4pin(or two) and 24pin primary connector,
    and speaker

and try to poweron.

With absent memory it should do "peep-peep-peeeep", this is when you correctly insert memory, videocard and attach 12v cables+monitor and try to boot.
    If the board does not power on from this configuration, it is probably physically defect or your PSU is incorrectly working or connected; since working motherboard can even detect faulty CPU.
    So, make sure you have speakers always connected, unless you use motherboard with LED error signal.

Comment

thanks

Got your message too late, i already did snd Mobo out.
      Got it returned, nothing worked again.
      Got CPU resend, got it working. And ou boy i am happy with my upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
        Got your message too late, i already did snd Mobo out.
        Got it returned, nothing worked again.
        Got CPU resend, got it working. And ou boy i am happy with my upgrade.
        NP, so it was faulty CPU? Thanks for info, probably the CPU was producing short-circuit...? I remember being able to flash BIOS even on crippled Athlon Palomino core in old K7 days, so motherboards nowadays detect a variety of even weirdest troubles. Happy you solved it!

Comment

I wish

Originally posted by brosis View Post
          NP, so it was faulty CPU? Thanks for info, probably the CPU was producing short-circuit...? I remember being able to flash BIOS even on crippled Athlon Palomino core in old K7 days, so motherboards nowadays detect a variety of even weirdest troubles. Happy you solved it!
          I have got your message before I send my new Mobo back.
          Ou well, thanks for reply anyway!

Comment

Working...
          X