Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA/AMD OpenGL Benchmarks Of Unigine Valley

Phoronix: NVIDIA/AMD OpenGL Benchmarks Of Unigine Valley

Continuing in the exclusive coverage of the yet-to-be-released Unigine Valley, here are some initial performance results for this visually-amazing multi-platform tech demo / benchmarks when using the OpenGL 3.2 Core renderer on Ubuntu Linux. A range of NVIDIA GeForce and AMD Radeon graphics cards were used for this initial testing of Unigine Valley. There's also benchmarks in this article of Unigine Heaven 4.0, which was just released yesterday.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yeah Unigine Heaven 4.0 seems to be a lot slower than 3.0. Why?

Comment

Interesting indeed. Here is my result: http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...RA-GEFORCE6619

I noticed that it uses a boatload of DOF. I don't remember it using it, at least to that extent, before, but then I haven't run the benchmark for quite a while now, so I might not remember correctly...

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        Yeah Unigine Heaven 4.0 seems to be a lot slower than 3.0. Why?
        I don't really think it's slower, they just added more post-process effects into the demo, like DOF. What's odd (and is going to be a source of confusion) is that the DOF [at least in the free version] is barely noticeable, and [to my knowledge] uncontrollable. There's not even warning telling you it's new or anything.. so to the unsuspecting benchmarker, it just appears that Unigine Heaven 4.0 runs half as fast as 3.0 for no apparent reason.

Comment

Smaller resolution maybe?

Michel can you please include smaller resolutions also in the test? I know higher resolutions stress GPU more but like me many people around the world don't have 1920 x 1080 monitors. If you see the Steam Hardware survey 2nd most used resolution is 1366 x 768 with 20.68%. Including smaller resolution helps to compare the test with our own PC. In your big comparisons, if you add a 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768, it would be awesome

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger_Coder View Post
            Michel can you please include smaller resolutions also in the test? I know higher resolutions stress GPU more but like me many people around the world don't have 1920 x 1080 monitors. If you see the Steam Hardware survey 2nd most used resolution is 1366 x 768 with 20.68%. Including smaller resolution helps to compare the test with our own PC. In your big comparisons, if you add a 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768, it would be awesome

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
            768p is so big because it is a big de facto laptop resolution in the 13 - 15" space. I didn't even know they made desktop monitors like that. Unless you mean benchmarks for the laptop, but that would require him to benchmark mobile hardware too.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
              768p is so big because it is a big de facto laptop resolution in the 13 - 15" space. I didn't even know they made desktop monitors like that. Unless you mean benchmarks for the laptop, but that would require him to benchmark mobile hardware too.
              Well at least in my country, monitors with 1366 x 768 resolution max is kinda common(18.5 inch monitors). Didn't know about the laptops though. And I am suggesting including some benchmark of 800x600 or 1024x768. That way all can compare those results.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger_Coder View Post
                Well at least in my country, monitors with 1366 x 768 resolution max is kinda common(18.5 inch monitors). Didn't know about the laptops though. And I am suggesting including some benchmark of 800x600 or 1024x768. That way all can compare those results.
                800x600 and 1024x768 is useless. We aren't living in the '90s anymore. If there was any testing with 1366x768 on Intel graphics I could see the usefulness.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
                  800x600 and 1024x768 is useless. We aren't living in the '90s anymore. If there was any testing with 1366x768 on Intel graphics I could see the usefulness.
                  Kind of dismissive, but in truth, if you have a 768p display, you have something else to invest in before a gpu upgrade.

Comment

A large number of laptops have 1366x768 displays,so upgrading isn't an option.

Comment

Working...
                    X