Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wayland's Weston Now Handles Full-Screen X Windows

Default Wayland's Weston Now Handles Full-Screen X Windows

Phoronix: Wayland's Weston Now Handles Full-Screen X Windows

In conjunction with XWayland, Wayland's Weston reference compositor can now handle full-screen X windows...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMwMDE

Waiting for Wayland's adoption has become a very sour experience. Just got a bitter taste in my mouth after reading this support won't be there officially until perhaps September. @_@ Crikey.

Still, I'm sure its arrival will be as sweet as anything we could have aside from widespread support from major software developers.

Quote Originally Posted by scionicspectre View Post
    Waiting for Wayland's adoption has become a very sour experience. Just got a bitter taste in my mouth after reading this support won't be there officially until perhaps September. @_@ Crikey.

Still, I'm sure its arrival will be as sweet as anything we could have aside from widespread support from major software developers.
    It's mostly because they're slow to develop it, for a project that is an order of magnitude smaller and simpler than X like 5 years of development is a lot. In 2008 there was one dev then there were more and it still doesn't support the most basic stuff you need on a desktop, like subsurface stuff (for plug-ins etc).

By trying to be (almost) perfect they're taking too much time which is a danger for them, at Canonical some assholes apparently are already planning to use their own stuff instead of Wayland.

It is pathetic that Wayland takes so long to reach maturity since X is probably the only remaining HORRIBLE part of modern desktop Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by varikonniemi View Post
    It is pathetic that Wayland takes so long to reach maturity since X is probably the only remaining HORRIBLE part of modern desktop Linux.
    I don't think they have a huge team in order to pull something like this fast. X i think has more people.

And yes i am inpatient too and want it NOW. If i remember correctly there aren't much that need to be merged in order to have a usable desktop. (minus apps)

I won't be using it on my desktop pc untill nvidia driver supports KMS anyway. Which I'm afraid will be never.

Ah, the peanut gallery strikes again ^^
    Scream some more, maybe the wayland devs will actually get annoyed enough to care ( ..NOT).

Quote Originally Posted by Ancurio View Post
    Ah, the peanut gallery strikes again ^^
    Scream some more, maybe the wayland devs will actually get annoyed enough to care ( ..NOT).
    Its not their problem/fault. We have established that wayland is designed in a way that it will be easy to get blobs work with it.

dont make me laugh. pulseaudio has latency issues so that you have to use a different mixer if you want low latency. i hope this is not an inherent flaw, cause if it is lennard should be hung from a lamppost.

Wayland should never be adopted as it is broken by design. It will just slow down applications compared to X without compositing.