AMD Radeon Gallium3D Starting To Out-Run Catalyst In Some Cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drago View Post
    That would be Jerome Glisse, from RedHat.
    Knew I was forgetting someone! haha
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

What I also take from this, on a slightly off-topic note, is that 13.04 Unity is looking to be much improved for gaming.

Comment

Nice article!

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Is it possible that it gained speed because Ubuntu began preinstalling s2tc?
          No, it shouldn't be, because when s3tc extension is missing a texture just aren't filled by data, so texture will be just blank and nothing more. If these games have support for both compressed and non compressed textures (when s3tc ext is missing) some small performance drop may be visible, but for mid-end cards like a tested HD4830 it shouldn't be a visible difference in performance (of course it depend on textures count, but I think that these games doesn't need too much bandwith for a textures).

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            PS: If there's another big-name contributor to radeon / radeon-drm / radeon-kernel that has done a lot with fixing the driver up that I didn't think of off the top of my head (marek and David were the only 2), I owe you a beer as well
            Others that you missed (besides Jerome Glisse, who was already mentioned):
            Christian K?nig
            Michel D?nzer
            Vincent Lejeune
            Tom Stellard

They've been mostly working on the LLVM Backend and the SI driver which haven't been getting as much headline space, but they've been churning out code like madmen lately. Several of them work for AMD, but I'm not sure about all.

Comment

So, how many games actually use ogl 4.0+?

Also, I'd be curious how much, if at all, the catalyst performance has gone up for that card over the last few years. I'd imagine some, but not much, and possibly has gone down as they would be focusing on newer cards.
              Lastly, we'd need to know if the image quality settings were identical for each benchmark.
              Regardless, fantastic job to all the radeon crew!

Comment

Very interesting article, I sure would like to see some more focus on comparing new versions with those existing a few years ago to see the progress.

Also, am I the only one surprised by how negligible the difference between the Unity and Xfce versions was?

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                  Also, I'd be curious how much, if at all, the catalyst performance has gone up for that card over the last few years. I'd imagine some, but not much, and possibly has gone down as they would be focusing on newer cards.
                  I think today's Catalyst does not support that card any longer. So you can't add 3 years of development to the Catalyst results in the article.

Which is another bonus for the OSS drivers.

Comment

The 13.1 legacy drivers does support that card, but only on X.Org 1.12 or older. So, catalyst should be working fine on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

This results is very impressive!
                    So what big items are left for HD 2000-4000 cards in the open-soucre drivers? OpenGL 3.3 compliance (not far off) and Power Management? Then the drivers are functionaly equivalent of Catalyst for those cards. Am I missing anything?

Comment

That sure is an impressive jump in performance on the FOSS side, awesome work!

Comment

Working...
                      X