Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchmarking The New Optimization Level In GCC 4.8

Phoronix: Benchmarking The New Optimization Level In GCC 4.8

GCC 4.8 is set to introduce a new optimization level that provides fast compilation performance and decent run-time performance of the resulting binary while still providing a superior debugging experience. Here are benchmarks of this new GCC general optimization level (-Og) compared to the other long-standing compiler optimization levels.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Did you bother to try debugging with those binaries? Did you check to make sure variables are not being compiled away? I'm curious about how the compiler is supposed to do any optimization at all if it has to preserve variables under all circumstances.

I don't doubt that debugging with those binaries is a dubious proposition at best

What is the point of compiling binaries in this mode? You don't get full optimal performance, so you can't do performance testing.

It's NOT executing the same code that it would in "debug" mode, so you are NOT going to see every instruction get executed, because the compiler IS removing code, look at the benchmarks

I wonder how long it takes to compile the binaries that save you a few seconds of debugging time? Just the time spent modifying the build scripts is a waste

If this new mode is so sweet, why isn't it the default? If it actually works, what would be the point of NOT using it as the default compilation mode?
    Last edited by frantaylor; 12 February 2013, 10:54 AM.

Comment

There's a good "OG/Original Gangsta" joke in here somewhere, but I'm too tired to think of it at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by frantaylor View Post
        What is the point of compiling binaries in this mode?
        I'm sure the point is to allow debugging in gdb applications that run really slowly when they are compiled without any optimizations. Like Mesa, for example. You might want to have optimizations so that the testing doesn't take forever to hit the spot of code that you are trying to debug, and not have to be a gdb wizard when you finally get there.

Comment

It's NOT executing the same code that it would in "debug" mode, so you are NOT going to see every instruction get executed, because the compiler IS removing code, look at the benchmarks
          You know that that could be a good thing when it comes to reproducibility?
          I have been unable to reproduce bugs from time to time when compiling with O0, but also the other way around. Most of the time this seems to have to do with __OPTIMIZE__ and friends in some headers resulting in two different codepaths between -O0 and -O1, while the codepath used in -O1 to -O3 is more alike. So my debugging usually happens on something more alike -O1 then -O0. Just so I know that the code I just compiled behaves in the same way when I debug it as it did when someone hits the bugs.

Comment

What is the point of compiling binaries in this mode? You don't get full optimal performance, so you can't do performance testing.
            Imagine an application that runs acceptable only in optimized state on current hardware.
            Imagine ability to debug application, while having acceptable running speed.

Comment

Working...
            X