GNU/Hurd Plans For A Future With USB, SATA, 64-Bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by frign View Post
    Agreed; I personally also use the deblobbed Kernel source.
    What wondered me the most is that obviously BLOB-dependent drivers like the BCM-TG3-Ethernet-driver still work in a deblobbed state (Luckily, my Ethernet-adapter has NVRAM), so everyone should attempt to get the most out of it.
    For me personally not providing support is still a better alternative than having to rely on those binary-drivers; It's actually rather sad to see binary-arrays in the sources, not be able to understand or modify them to a certain degree.
    With Linux turning more and more popular, it could definitely use its power someday to force the manufacturers into releasing free drivers (we shouldn't do this too early or else we would risk patch-forks).

It definitely is an interesting topic.
    It won't be much of a problem if the manufacturers themselves develop the driver to be included in mainline kernel. From my experience, the most irritating are the small problems (like weird default settings, memory leaks), stuff that can easily be fixed even if you don't really understand the source or how hardware works.

Though I agree that it would be best if they also released hardware documentation and either did not depend on firmware blobs or provided sources for them.

Comment

With Linux turning more and more popular, it could definitely use its power someday to force the manufacturers into releasing free drivers (we shouldn't do this too early or else we would risk patch-forks).
      Possibly, but that's still a little way off. Currently I have both NVIDIA and AMD graphics driver blobs installed (one installation, runs on two different machines), so call me short-sighted, but if I use linux I want to use a system that works decently.

Originally posted by tomato View Post
      Though I agree that it would be best if they also released hardware documentation and either did not depend on firmware blobs or provided sources for them.
      And actually tested their code against to the specification.
      Last edited by Cyborg16; 10 February 2013, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Lack of USB support?
        No SATA drives??
        32-bit only???

in 2013?!?!?

Does RMS know PCs got 64-bits 10 years ago, USB is the standard to connect everything, PATA drives are out of sale in most of store and SSD are all SATA or USB?

Comment

Originally posted by Pickup View Post
          Lack of USB support?
          No SATA drives??
          32-bit only???

in 2013?!?!?

Does RMS know PCs got 64-bits 10 years ago, USB is the standard to connect everything, PATA drives are out of sale in most of store and SSD are all SATA or USB?
          I am glad you found out how to scale text in this forum.
          Nevertheless, getting back to topic, I completely understand your point, but have to note here, that RMS is not directly involved into the development. He is just the one having worked on the specification of the Hurd.
          SATA, USB and 64Bit might be standard nowadays, but moving the Linux Kernel to this point was only possible with thousands and thousands of active users and many corporations supporting the development.
          Now looking at the Hurd, it is amazing how much these guys achieved with their relatively limited manpower. Stop complaining and start constructive work, though I am sure you will never reach the efficiency of the Hurd-developers unless you stop trolling all over the place.

Comment

@BO$$:

Sometimes people like to learn, instead of working all the time. Sometimes learning involves looking at stuff that isn't necessarily main-stream, is different from other things, may not be fully functional or complete, and may never be in wide-spread use. This kind of learning can often lead to new and fresh ideas.

And trust me, working on a big project, like Linux, can often feel like work. And not every hobbyist developer likes to come home from work...to more work. Especially if it's a project they're unfamiliar with the internals of.

Comment

Now looking at the Hurd, it is amazing how much these guys achieved with their relatively limited manpower.
              While true, the point still stands. Hurd might be a fun project for developers to hack on, but it's hard to see it having a future as anything more than a toy for those developers. Not if they've got so few people that both SATA and USB are still on the todo list... we're talking about something that will never boot outside of a VM or on hardware old enough to still support ps/2 ports and PATA drives...

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                Stop with the bullshit! GNU Hurd is useless. No one uses it! Hell it even still has memory leaks so it needs a reboot every once in a while. It's at the level of windows 98. The fact that is still in development just shows how many programmers are completely out of touch with reality. Why would you work on something that is a clear dead end?

All those devs would get better recognition and contribute better to the world if they would work on linux. But noooo, linux has blobs which are evil! So we must reinvent the wheel, worse, reinvent the square wheel, and say it's better since you can cd instead of use fuse. WTF? I cd into my ntfs dirs no problem whatsoever. If that is the Hurd advantage then I will continue laughing at that POS. It's not even positioned in the market. What need does it try to solve? Nothing. Just a random bunch of idealists building their kernel thinking they are some superior hotshot programmers just because they are different. HURD IS TURD! Chant with me.
                You insult Windows 98: at least it supported USB and audio devices, and SATA could be made to work to some extent. :P

OTOH, remember it's their time they're wasting, not mine or yours. Just like the fact that I don't play any computer games does not mean that I have a right to criticize your choice to work on those instead of Firefox or FreeCAD.

BTW: minix has 2/4 done: SATA and audio; usb and amd64 are TODO.

Comment

Originally posted by Ibidem View Post
                  You insult Windows 98: at least it supported USB and audio devices, and SATA could be made to work to some extent. :P

OTOH, remember it's their time they're wasting, not mine or yours. Just like the fact that I don't play any computer games does not mean that I have a right to criticize your choice to work on those instead of Firefox or FreeCAD.

BTW: minix has 2/4 done: SATA and audio; usb and amd64 are TODO.
                  Via ddekit, usb actually works just fine on minix3. That's basically just running linux's usb code inside a minix driver.

Comment

Originally posted by bo$$ View Post
                    hurd is turd! Chant with me.
                    hurd is turd!
                    Hurd is turd!
                    Hurd is turd!
                    Hurd is turd!
                    Hurd is turd!
                    Hurd is turd!
                    Hurd is turd!
                    Hurd is turd!
                    Hurd is turd!
                    hurd is turd!
                    Hurd is turd!
                    Hurd is turd!
                    Hurd is turd!
                    Hurd is turd!
                    Hurd is turd!
                    Hurd is turd!
                    Hurd is turd!
                    Hurd is turd!
                    hurd is turd!
                    Hurd is turd!
                    Hurd is turd!
                    Hurd is turd!
                    Hurd is turd!
                    Hurd is turd!
                    Hurd is turd!
                    Hurd is turd!
                    Hurd is turd!
                    Last edited by systemd rulez; 11 February 2013, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Now looking at the Hurd, it is amazing how much these guys achieved with their relatively limited manpower. Stop complaining and start constructive work, though I am sure you will never reach the efficiency of the Hurd-developers unless you stop trolling all over the place.
                      "all over the place", come on.. Those were just my 2 cents.

I may appreciate the efforts of the Hurd developers. But, as BO$$ meant, an operating system which, on modern computers, won't work properly (no USB=No keyboard, mouse or thumbdrives) or install (no SATA= no hard disk install, not even booting from a modern DVD drive) is useless. And spending 23 years on a purposeless software is throwing your life away.

It looks like a group of engineers who share the dream of developing the most advanced steam engine in the world start working, their idea does not attract many people but they go straight on with it anyway, and after a couple of centuries they come out with a barely working steamer which "with still some, uh, loads of adjustments, fixing and developing it might work on some 1800's coaches" while the world all around them is traveling on hybrid-powered cars, jet airplanes, electric hi-speed trains and coming-soon maglev tracks.

Comment

Working...
                      X