Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 97

Thread: Vincent Untz Goes Over The Direction Of GNOME

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kigurai View Post
    So basically... Canonical takes Ubuntu in a new direction, and it's GNOME's fault? Yikes... Why is it not KDE's or XFCE's fault? I mean if KDE was totally awesome Ubuntu would surely use that, right? Because it could not be that the Ubuntu-people want to their own thing?
    Take a step back, take a few breaths, and consider if what you just wrote makes sense and is fair.
    If you want to dislike GNOME. Fine. But calling the developers "selfish idiots" when the sole argument against it seems to be "I don't like it, why don't they work on what I want?" it seems a bit hypocritical. This goes a general comment, and is not only directed towards you, by the way.

    Also as a general note to the GNOME-haters: There is quite a lot of us with "real jobs" who happens to like GNOME3 and use it daily.
    Oh man... What logic do some kind of people have to make such idiotic questions? The point wasn't about Canonical's moving away from Gnome which is a terrible desktop or rather "tablet". It was about Unity's alternative. Unity's being incompatible with Gnome, using own API and some Android's display server is dangerous to typical Linux distributions, don't you think? Imagine how many great projects can be wasted by this: systemd, Wayland, Open Source graphic stack... Gnome by being such utter shit doesn't offer anything interesting and like I mentioned KDE lacks corporate support and it will be harder for it to fight alone. Some of the Gnome devs are selfish idiots, because they don't care about Gnome 2 users. It's a fact, because they said at lwn.net they don't make Gnome 3 for Gnome 2 users.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Basement
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pawlerson View Post
    Oh man... What logic do some kind of people have to make such idiotic questions? The point wasn't about Canonical's moving away from Gnome which is a terrible desktop or rather "tablet".
    Anyway .. Claiming it was gnomes fault that Mark Shuttleworth decided it was more "fun" to develop Unity which is a CAed walled garden with Mark having the last word on any design decision would be stupid.

    Gnome was too open and free to be overtaken like this.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pawlerson View Post
    Oh man... What logic do some kind of people have to make such idiotic questions? The point wasn't about Canonical's moving away from Gnome which is a terrible desktop or rather "tablet". It was about Unity's alternative. Unity's being incompatible with Gnome, using own API and some Android's display server is dangerous to typical Linux distributions, don't you think? Imagine how many great projects can be wasted by this: systemd, Wayland, Open Source graphic stack... Gnome by being such utter shit doesn't offer anything interesting and like I mentioned KDE lacks corporate support and it will be harder for it to fight alone. Some of the Gnome devs are selfish idiots, because they don't care about Gnome 2 users. It's a fact, because they said at lwn.net they don't make Gnome 3 for Gnome 2 users.
    Dude. Nothing personal, but your rants are so far out in left field and lacking any manner of logic and/or factual basis, you're wasting most everyone's time here.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    306

    Default So, "has the GNOME community gone crazy?"

    Has the GNOME community gone crazy? Very nice question, indeed, granted their interface seems to be targeted for tablets rather than PCs and still no any tablets with gnome sold anywhere in the world

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Basement
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 0xBADCODE View Post
    Has the GNOME community gone crazy? Very nice question, indeed, granted their interface seems to be targeted for tablets rather than PCs and still no any tablets with gnome sold anywhere in the world
    Gnome is targeted at laptops. Laptops do come with touch screens. Get it?

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by funkSTAR View Post
    Gnome is targeted at laptops. Laptops do come with touch screens. Get it?
    Stop trolling in favour of GNOME please, it is getting ridiculus. Laptops with touchscreens are a fairly new development, GNOME didn't target them of course... In any way, Laptops using touchscreens aren't productivity oriented so by admitting that GNOME targets them then you are admitting that GNOME is designed for casual use, not heavy productivity... Thank you for telling the truth...

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 0xBADCODE View Post
    Has the GNOME community gone crazy? Very nice question, indeed, granted their interface seems to be targeted for tablets rather than PCs and still no any tablets with gnome sold anywhere in the world
    That you guys keep claiming that GNOME3 is "made for tablets" does not make it more true.
    I think it is quite obvious that touch interfaces were considered. I give you that. But considering that GNOME3 is excellent to use on a desktop or laptop, the argument that it should have been aimed exclusively towards tablets is false.
    I don't think current GNOME3 would work very well on tablets, but I think it would at least work a lot better than GNOME2.
    And I don't see why having an interface that works well on both touch and keyboard/mouse would be a bad thing, as long as it doesn't suck at it. And I have already told you that I personally think GNOME3 works really well for desktops/laptops.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pawlerson
    Oh man... What logic do some kind of people have to make such idiotic questions? The point wasn't about Canonical's moving away from Gnome which is a terrible desktop or rather "tablet". It was about Unity's alternative. Unity's being incompatible with Gnome, using own API and some Android's display server is dangerous to typical Linux distributions, don't you think? Imagine how many great projects can be wasted by this: systemd, Wayland, Open Source graphic stack...
    I agree that it's a worrying trend, and that's why I personally switched from Ubuntu.
    Not sure I share your doomsday vision though.

    Gnome by being such utter shit doesn't offer anything interesting and like I mentioned KDE lacks corporate support and it will be harder for it to fight alone. Some of the Gnome devs are selfish idiots, because they don't care about Gnome 2 users. It's a fact, because they said at lwn.net they don't make Gnome 3 for Gnome 2 users.
    What is a "GNOME2 user"? Someone who likes the old traditional desktop? Then I think the fallback mode which was replaced by "GNOME classic" is a great example how they do care.
    I still don't see why GNOME would have some sort of obligation to continue to do GNOME2, when they don't want to.

    If you had a project, and was thinking of overhauling it quite heavily for the next version, would you never do it because some of your users might disagree? Would you keep doing your old code even though you think you could do much better?

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Basement
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TemplarGR View Post
    Stop trolling in favour of GNOME please, it is getting ridiculus. Laptops with touchscreens are a fairly new development, GNOME didn't target them of course... In any way, Laptops using touchscreens aren't productivity oriented so by admitting that GNOME targets them then you are admitting that GNOME is designed for casual use, not heavy productivity... Thank you for telling the truth...
    Here is a clue for you; ALL screens will get touch functionality. It has hit all formfactors. Tabs, laptop and desktops and TV sized panels are coming. It is NOT up to you and fellow gnome haters to decide what are appropiate ways to control a computer. It is 2013 and deliberately excluding touch is as stupid as excluding mouse or keyboard control. Go back to a former decade if you cant deal with 2013.

    I suggest you take dated non touch software like KDE and head back to the 80s. Go play MC Hammer -you cant touch this on amarok or likewise shit.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by funkSTAR View Post
    Here is a clue for you; ALL screens will get touch functionality. It has hit all formfactors. Tabs, laptop and desktops and TV sized panels are coming. It is NOT up to you and fellow gnome haters to decide what are appropiate ways to control a computer. It is 2013 and deliberately excluding touch is as stupid as excluding mouse or keyboard control. Go back to a former decade if you cant deal with 2013.

    I suggest you take dated non touch software like KDE and head back to the 80s. Go play MC Hammer -you cant touch this on amarok or likewise shit.
    Yeah, of course, do some serious work on a desktop with a 27" touchscreen for 8 hours a day and then come back and don't complain about the pain in your arms.
    I suggest you take your "touch everywhere" attitude and try it, before making such ridiculous comments.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Basement
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vim_User View Post
    Yeah, of course, do some serious work on a desktop with a 27" touchscreen for 8 hours a day and then come back and don't complain about the pain in your arms.
    I suggest you take your "touch everywhere" attitude and try it, before making such ridiculous comments.
    LOL. No one uses touch for 8 hours on a big screen. Thats a strawman you are shooting down to avoid accepting the POSSIBILITY to use touch is a NICE FEATURE. Gnome3 was designed with this in mind.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •