Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vincent Untz Goes Over The Direction Of GNOME

Phoronix: Vincent Untz Goes Over The Direction Of GNOME

Aside from all the Phoronix video recordings of the X.Org and Wine development rooms during the FOSDEM 2013 meeting last weekend in Brussels, Vincent Untz went over the direction of GNOME and whether the GNOME community has gone crazy...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Couldn't take more than the first 7 minutes, he's basically debunking the "myth" that Gnome 3 is bad, with the same old silly half truths: people don't like new things, people are emotional, yada yada, a demagogy based on half truths and euphemisms with the usual reasons from the Gnome camp: it's not Gnome 3, it's the users who "don't get it".
    Last edited by mark45; 09 February 2013, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      Couldn't take more than the first 7 minutes, he's basically debunking the "myth" that Gnome 3 is bad, with the same old silly half truths: people don't like new things, people are emotional, yada yada, a demagogy based on half truths and euphemisms with the usual reasons from the Gnome camp: it's not Gnome 3, it's the users who "don't get it".

Kk and thanks.

I wont then bother to watch a second of that moaning.

I am very very happy with Gnome 3. It is the best desktop.

Edit: I just realized after reading second time your post that he was pro Gnome 3 lol.
      Last edited by moilami; 09 February 2013, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        Does the truth hurt :P

Comment

mark45: Thanks for giving us the executive summary. I was slightly interested, but not interested enough to watch a video. (I prefer things in text form where it's easier to skim.)

Okay, let the holy wars commence! I feel we should have some sort of opening ceremony for these GNOME threads..

EDIT: While I was posting, someone snuck in and started the holy war.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
            I am very very happy with Gnome 3. It is the best desktop.
            No it is not.

Comment

the desktop is dead
              Yea, the tablet/smartphone marketers keep saying that, who the hell cares what they think?
              Besides, why couldn't they create a version for the desktop and a separate version for tablets/smartphones? (like KDE)

gnome developers hate the world
              No, GNOME developers hate the traditional desktop users.

the community wanted to change
              I guess me and many others weren't considered as being part of the community.
              Now I'm sure as hell not part of the GNOME 3 community.

Just about then I stopped watching the video.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
                No it is not.
                Yes it is.

Comment

Code:
                  [QUOTE]the desktop is dead [/QUOTE]
                  Today I tried for the first time iCrap (iPad). After a while I wanted a better keyboard.

I don't want to type on some freaking glass panel for fucks sake.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevertime View Post
                    Yes it is.
                    nu-uh. like, its not.

Comment

Working...
                    X