Vincent Untz Goes Over The Direction Of GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
    LOL. No one uses touch for 8 hours on a big screen. Thats a strawman you are shooting down to avoid accepting the POSSIBILITY to use touch is a NICE FEATURE. Gnome3 was designed with this in mind.
    As well as Enlightenment and KDE, both also have a mode aimed at touchscreens. There was no need to redesign the complete interface for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
      As well as Enlightenment and KDE, both also have a mode aimed at touchscreens. There was no need to redesign the complete interface for this.
      Who said the only reason for the redesign was to make it work on tablets?
      No one is contesting that touch interfaces were kept in mind, but the only reason? I think not.
      Regardless: GNOME3 works fine on a regular computer. So, having it work on touch interfaces as well is hardly a bad thing. Whether they'll pull that off, is another question.

Comment

I was just pointed out the nonsense posted by funkSTAR, who feels entitled to judge about software that he doesn't know the features of and the nonsense of the "touch is this decade, if you don't like it go back a decade"-attitude, which funnily somewhat resembles the "Gnome 3 is this decade, if you don't like it go back a decade"-attitude of the same type of members.

There are other DEs and WMs that have touch as a feature, but also keep themselves to follow the "so 80's" desktop paradigm.

As I see it, and this is only my opinion, of course YMMV, Gnome Shell aimed at being the next big thing in mobile DEs. They failed at that, there is not one device in the mobile space that comes with Gnome Shell. The problem is that they alienated their existing (and at that point largest ) userbase with that move and ended up with an interface that is not present on mobile devices but caused a serious drop in the number of Gnome users.
        People still use Gnome 3, but many do it with Unity, Cinnamon or in the future with Consort as interface.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
          I was just pointed out the nonsense posted by funkSTAR, who feels entitled to judge about software that he doesn't know the features of and the nonsense of the "touch is this decade, if you don't like it go back a decade"-attitude, which funnily somewhat resembles the "Gnome 3 is this decade, if you don't like it go back a decade"-attitude of the same type of members.
          What do you expect from a badly disguised troll?

As I see it, and this is only my opinion, of course YMMV, Gnome Shell aimed at being the next big thing in mobile DEs. They failed at that, there is not one device in the mobile space that comes with Gnome Shell.
          As I remember it there was more a "let's make sure this stuff works good for touch", and not so much "we are going for the mobile market". Therefore I don't think it is strange at all that there are no tablets, since no push for this has been done, as far as I am aware.

The problem is that they alienated their existing (and at that point largest ) userbase with that move and ended up with an interface that is not present on mobile devices but caused a serious drop in the number of Gnome users.
          People still use Gnome 3, but many do it with Unity, Cinnamon or in the future with Consort as interface.
          Yes, some people (quite obviously) does not agree with the new interface. I still don't think the impact was really that big as some people make it sound.

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooSyxx View Post
            Dude. Nothing personal, but your rants are so far out in left field and lacking any manner of logic and/or factual basis, you're wasting most everyone's time here.
            Then prove so. I backed up my complains and I explained everything with logic in mind.

Comment

lol faggets

at gnome being used in touch laptops LLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLL

show me a video, search the entire internet, and show me a video of a NORMAL touch laptop with gnome 3.6 installed and being used

I will IMMEDIATELY give you my password to this account and SWEAR to never post here again

I up the stakes:

show me just 2 videos of gnome 3.6 in ANY kind of smartphone and I will also quit phoronix
              Last edited by Pallidus; 14 February 2013, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
                lol show me a video, search the entire internet, and show me a video of a NORMAL touch laptop with gnome 3.6 installed and being used

I will IMMEDIATELY give you my password to this account and SWEAR to never post here again
                Now you are getting desperate. No one wants to waste time on finding or uploading vids in compliance to your strawman.

I remember seeing gnome3.2 on a desktop/workstation screen controlled by touch. It is more than a year old. Today we have touch everywhere, even HYBRID laptops which also have tablet modes. Do you want your software change mode according to your available control methods? Or do you want your software to be compatible with touch? Gnome did make a wise choice here.

Calling a touch enabled UI a "phoneOS" or "tabletOS" is soooo stupid. The irony to this is KDE. They went the wrong path or was forced to go this way by Nokia. Because Nokia needed the split. THEY were all about phones and didnt want to be held back by desktop KDE; Thus Qt needed a new tablet/phoneOS. This is the main reason for plasma activity being outside traditional KDE. Now KDE is hampered by this illogical idea of "new software mode for every form factor". Besides the stupidity hitting hybrid laptop users it also have a technical debt. One example is kwins stupid approach to CSD.

Comment

OMG you idiot

I actually like touch

what I'm trying to say is that gnome 3 SUCKS ASS even in touch screens

here fagget:

now show me the same for gnome 3

lol you won't

coz nobody uses the piece of shit fail that is gnome 3

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT you gnome faggets, it's your chance to get rid of a critic from phoronix

show me videos of gnome on a touch laptop/phone WHEREVER

OMG GNOME IS SUCH A PIECE OF SHIT FAIL

They should port gnome 3.6 to BSD so they can create virtual AIDS

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
                    now show me the same for gnome 3
                    Here u go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofLZkkrR-Ws
                    BTW who is this retarded kid?

Comment

LOL

wtf is that shit? WOOD?

r u fucking kidding me? GTFO

Comment

Working...
                      X