Vincent Untz Goes Over The Direction Of GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a moderation

Looks like this forum needs moderation. Strong word(s) like F*CK etc mustn't used.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
      I love simple interfaces

LOVE

clean and elegant UI. Minimalistic and well designed.

I like tablets and smartphones, and stuff designed for touch.

I should be gnome's market target, right?

gnome 3 is an absolute piece of shit, unusable and broken and made by retards and only other stupid stupid neckbearded fat pieces of shit would ever use that abortion of a DE.

I have tried pretty much everything from lxde to galaxy note2.

I can use everything from win95 to os x 10.8

I CAN'T FUCKING USE GNOME 3.6 AS SOMETHING SO FUCKING SIMPLE LIKE PUTTING MULTIPLE WINDOWS OF NAUTILUS AND FIREFOX OR SHIT LIKE THAT BECOMES A NIGHTMARE

no minimize button? GO FUCK YOURSELF IN THE ASS WITH A CUCUMBER MOTHERFUCKER . ARE YOU THAT FUCKIN
      Heh. The crux of the man's argument was that most of the detractors were having a huge emotionally driven overrection. Glad you didn't do anything silly like toss out a huge emotionally driven overreaction of an opinion and prove the man right, or anything.

Comment

While I would have liked the talk to be more concentrated on specific criticisms* rather than general myths I think this thread is a fine example of the level of the dominant anti-gnome argumentation nowadays. Doubt there's much that could be possibly done to improve that apart from countering specifies points as they do now in blog posts and stuff, and promoting that reasoning to the usual news/discussion channels. It's good that at least they realise the huge communication problem the project faces.

*I've yet to encounter a proper and convincing design-centered argument in favor of removing the extra pane.

Comment

to cut the stupid talk off and face reality

Originally posted by VoodooSyxx View Post
          Heh. The crux of the man's argument was that most of the detractors were having a huge emotionally driven overrection. Glad you didn't do anything silly like toss out a huge emotionally driven overreaction of an opinion and prove the man right, or anything.
          "Thanks" to Gnome 3 we have divided and messed up Linux desktop. "Thanks" to this mess there's now Cinnamon, Mate, fallback and God only knows what new will appear in the future. "Thanks" to Gnome 3 developers there's no unified notification system between KDE and Gnome. There are rumors (or perhaps, it's confirmed and I have missed something) Ubuntu will completely cut off from the Gnome and common graphic stack like Wayland and will use some part from Android. Upcoming Canonical's SDK won't be compatible with Gnome, so developers will have additional work to do if they wish to support both environments... I wonder how Nvidia and AMD are willing to support Wayland and Ubuntu's stack same time? The point is there are great non Ubuntu technologies like Wayland and systemd, but they'll loose, because Ubuntu is the most popular distribution. It could be different if Gnome 3 wouldn't be such a broken mess made and approved by selfish idiots who doesn't care about Linux' popularity, but about themselves. In Gnome 2 times Ubuntu was only slightly more popular, because users could install Fedora and they had similar experience. I bet Fedora with Gnome 2 like DE would slow down Canonical from turning away from upstream technologies. Btw. there's very popular KDE that will use Wayland, but it can't do much alone without corporate support like Fedora and Gnome have.
          Last edited by Guest; 10 February 2013, 12:12 PM.

Comment

GNOME 3 <3 U

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
              Btw. there's very popular KDE that will use Wayland, but it can't do much alone without corporate support like Fedora and Gnome have.
              Thats a classic. Envy causing moronix hate. Everybody know you and fellow KDE neckbeards are flaming GNOME because of envy. Loooooooosers.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
                Thats a classic. Envy causing moronix hate. Everybody know you and fellow KDE neckbeards are flaming GNOME because of envy. Loooooooosers.
                It seems you're too stupid to get the point. What envy? It's the worst piece of shit ever and it's harming Linux. It's also unpopular compared to KDE, Unity and Gnome 2. Oh, and when Ubuntu kills Gnome it will be too late to become smart.
                Last edited by Guest; 10 February 2013, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_bombastic View Post
                  This video left me seriously disappointed. I thought "oh, someone from Gnome, at a conference. This will probably be enlightening". Turns out I was wrong. He went on to say Gnome 2 was ok, but that is was "old" and the community wanted to do something new, so keep improving or making incremental changes to 2 was out of the question. That's it. I've heard better reasoning for Gnome 3 reading /. flame wars. Really. He asks the audience if they thought Gnome 3.0 was ready for users. When pretty much everyone disagrees, he says "well, it's a matter of point of view, and I thought it was ready, so there. Myth debunked. Next.". Really, I don't dislike Gnome 3 with passion or anything, but this whole video was so uninformative it's actually amazing. The part about removing features (edit: about 8 minutes in the video) is jaw-dropping. He says it's a myth that they keep removing features because they decide a certain way is best and so they take configurability away from the UI. That's what removing features is, how can he say it's a myth? He's affirming what he's supposedly denying!
                  I agree with you that some of the "myths" are actually just fact and it would have been better to just offer their rationale for a decision rather than deny reality.

But the presentation seemed to be a little bit "missing the point" in the sense that the criticism is not necessarily with GNOME 3 per se, but rather the shell they've given us which, frankly, doesn't work for some of us. I respect that they have their vision and for some users it's a great shell, but for a lot of us it just doesn't work, it's not simply a superficial appearance thing, and they've lost us.

To pretend that it's all just a myth in our heads is perplexing.

I'm not saying that Win 7 or OS X or Unity or GNOME 2 (gnome-panel) all give us perfect shells but for many of us we can at least balance the usability against the sacrifices and make it work. For some of us GNOME Shell can't do that. At all.

Comment

... my laptop fell when I was making the last post and is now all fucked up but I will continue my argument:

KDE is not for me, it never was, it's too 'all over the place' menus inside menus inside menus, big fat colorful icons looking like they were drawn by crayons etc...

... but hey AT LEAST YOU CAN USE IT, as it FUNCTIONS.

LXDE is primitive/basic as shit but again IT FUNCTIONS

xfce ditto

All the win interfaces from 95 to 7, were for me just a step above KDE but again THEY FUNCTION.

The ones I'm more at home with and feel JOY in using:

OS X 10.4, pantheon, UNITY, iOS, ICS.

gnome 3 is just NOT FUNCTIONAL, GET IT? NOT ON A FUCKING TABLET NOT ON A FUCKING LAPTOP NOT A FUCKING DESKTOP

IT IS A BROKEN PIECE OF SHIT DESIGNED BY PEOPLE WHO HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO DESIGN A UI.

GRAB WINDOWS 7 AND OS X AND UNITY AND WHATEVER THE FUCK YOU WANT

AND THEN GRAB GNOME 3

do this:

USING YOUR MOUSE AND NOT SHORTCUTS LIKE A FAT NECKBEARDED PIECE OF SHIT

copy and paste text from a text document putting it side by side with a firefox window

open several nautilus windows in different folders and copy files amonst them

switch from a application to another

I WILL FUCKING DO PHYSICAL HARM TO SUM1 THAT SAYS THAT GNOME 3 IS GREAT IN FRONT OF ME IN REAL LIFE

Comment

While I don't share Pallidus' love for MacOS/Capslock, I agree with the point he made.

Comment

Working...
                      X