No announcement yet.

The Linux Kernel Console Is Being Killed Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm really tired of this web site and the losers who suck the air out of every discussion

Whenever there's a story about progress in Linux, a whole bunch of neanderthals show up, talking about the good old days and their serial consoles and why Linux needs to meet their needs while ignoring everyone else's.

It's all just too funny because they can just keep the desktop they already have, nobody is forcing them to upgrade or change or anything, and they get all indignant because they are the apparent victim in a vast conspiracy to make life more difficult for them. Yes they could just install centos or some other stable distribution and be happy, but no, they demand the latest and greatest and then they freak when the latest and greatest is not compatible with their old notions.

And then there is the very special brand of loser who thinks that people should devote their lives to things and not get paid for them!

This signal-to-noise ratio here is even worse than slashdot, and that's saying something.

Comment

Originally posted by silix View Post
      your coding skills are irrelevant - it's CLEAR that you don't do professional hired development ...
      No, what's CLEAR is that you're making assumptions about someone without having any idea who you're talking to. (google could help you there...)

I wrote code for the space shuttle. I know about large, complex projects and large development teams. Probably larger and more complex than any of you will ever get your hands on. I've had my hand in more projects, working with more teams, than most. Every one of you is probably running my code on your machine right this second. So save your lectures about professional hired development.

Comment

Originally posted by cl91 View Post
        Now. Archlinux already packages it. Link: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/c...x86_64/kmscon/

I have been using KMSCON as my main console since last December. The experience has been very smooth.

People in the west might not realize this, but this project is a huge blessing to the entire CJK community.
        The good old linux-console is practically useless to us except as the emergency console, 'cause it has no
        capability of displaying CJK characters. There's been various efforts within the CJK community, but none has
        worked out well. KMSCON is the first proper solution to this problem.
        How do you handle input? Is there ibus support for kmscon yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Hermit View Post
          How do you handle input? Is there ibus support for kmscon yet?
          Emacs provides a rudimentary IME.

Comment

Originally posted by Ibidem View Post
            You really think that VESA/framebuffer always works? I guess you've been rather limited in your reading.
            Real-world cases I've heard of:
            -Some gfx cards (especially SIS/S3, IIRC) don't work with vesa; it loads, but you get an unuseable display.
            With SiS it might depend on the BIOS/VBE revision (I once had two identical machines but with a different BIOS revision, and it worked on one of them but not the other).

Comment

Originally posted by highlandsun View Post
              No, what's CLEAR is that you're making assumptions about someone without having any idea who you're talking to. (google could help you there...)

I wrote code for the space shuttle. I know about large, complex projects and large development teams. Probably larger and more complex than any of you will ever get your hands on. I've had my hand in more projects, working with more teams, than most. Every one of you is probably running my code on your machine right this second. So save your lectures about professional hired development.
              If what you say is true then you are an idiot and a fool for wasting your precious time on this forum. If what you say were actually true then you would be making $200/hour and you would have NO TIME for screwing around on message boards.

Comment

Huh? I was hoping they'd kill *GFX*. It keeps on annoying me with bloatware.

Comment

Working...
                X