The Linux Kernel Console Is Being Killed Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by asdx
    So how do I replace the current Linux console with kmscon?
    To just test it all you have to do is install it, switch a VT and run 'kmscon', to kill it switch to a seperate VT and kill kmscon. Setting it as the default VT handle is beyond my knowledge, maybe David can answer that one.
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
      So how do I replace the current Linux console with kmscon?
      Try
      ln -s /usr/lib/systemd/system/[email protected] /etc/systemd/system/[email protected]
      systemctl enable [email protected]
      assuming you're using systemd

Comment

OK, just over 1 MB static and stripped.
        Thanks for the recommendation to try release 6, dvdrhm.
        It does take some work to circumvent libtool's attempts to link everything dynamically.
        And...
        Code:
        -rwxr-xr-x 1 idunham idunham 1606899 Feb 11 20:45 kmscon
        -rwxr-xr-x 1 idunham idunham 1033328 Feb 11 20:46 kmscon_strip
        -rwxr-xr-x 1 idunham idunham  482480 Feb 11 20:57 kmscon-test
        That last one is what happens when I link it static with musl.
        Apparently it ~works even if I stop udev.

I'm assuming "init=/bin/bash" and similar are not supported use cases? Because the only way that could work with VT emulation in userspace is if kmscon supported executing a specified command like xterm -e (for example, init=/sbin/kmscon -e /bin/bash )

Also, what does kmscon do if the xkb data is inaccessible?
        OK, it fails to run.
        That's ~3 MB more.

Comment

"man this code in the kernel is so hard to understand, and it's just useless bloat. let's move it to userland" where it becomes even more fragile, unmaintainable, and bloated.

sigh...

Sometimes, when you find the code you're looking at is "too hard to understand" it means that you're too stupid to muck with it, and should leave it TF alone and go do something else with your time.

Comment

Originally posted by highlandsun View Post
            Sometimes, when you find the code you're looking at is "too hard to understand" it means that you're too stupid to muck with it, and should leave it TF alone and go do something else with your time.
            Beyond uncalled for, even the maintainer of the VT subsystem has called the code spaghetti, a mess, broken by design, and about every other phrasing you can use for shitty code. Also moving it out of the kernel is a nice idea as far as maintainability is concerned because in Userspace you can break whatever the hell you want if you need to refactor-- in the kernel once its there...its there until Linus dies.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

NO NO NO NO NO

If you have been hired by a professional corporation and you are getting paid to write the code (I presume I am talking to a basement dweller by your ignorance) then YOU ARE NOT TOO STUPID.

You have CLEARLY never actually put your fingers into someone else's complex code. Man I gotta say I would give you a good swift kick in the nads if we were speaking in person because you are just SO STUPID.

You are just UNAWARE of the software authoring process. Developers on projects come and go. Some of them leave good maintainable code behind. Some leave undocumented messes. But if you are on the team and you have resources of other developers at your disposal, you work with them to understand the odd code. And THEN after you have looked at the code and your comrades have looked at the code and you ALL throw up your hands in despair, then it is THE CODE that is the problem, not the developer.

Hey YOU can pretend that developers work in a vacuum. You can pretend that they don't work together. You can pretend that professionally hired and paid developers are "stupid". And you can GO TO HELL for your arrogant stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by frantaylor View Post
                NO NO NO NO NO

If you have been hired by a professional corporation and you are getting paid to write the code (I presume I am talking to a basement dweller by your ignorance) then YOU ARE NOT TOO STUPID.

You have CLEARLY never actually put your fingers into someone else's complex code. Man I gotta say I would give you a good swift kick in the nads if we were speaking in person because you are just SO STUPID.

You are just UNAWARE of the software authoring process. Developers on projects come and go. Some of them leave good maintainable code behind. Some leave undocumented messes. But if you are on the team and you have resources of other developers at your disposal, you work with them to understand the odd code. And THEN after you have looked at the code and your comrades have looked at the code and you ALL throw up your hands in despair, then it is THE CODE that is the problem, not the developer.

Hey YOU can pretend that developers work in a vacuum. You can pretend that they don't work together. You can pretend that professionally hired and paid developers are "stupid". And you can GO TO HELL for your arrogant stupidity.
                You CLEARLY don't know what you're talking about, since you have no idea how much code I have or haven't written.

You also seem to be laboring under multiple other false impressions.

1) Not everything in life is easy. Nobody said that all code will or should be easy to understand. (Just like not all code is easy to write.) The fact is, some things really are hard, period.

2) A single gifted programmer can do the work of tens of average developers. But no amount of average developers can ever do what a single gifted programmer can do.

The fact that you're professionally hired and paid says nothing about your skill. Focus on pay only says that you are a prostitute, as opposed to an actual practitioner of an art.

Comment

You CLEARLY don't know what you're talking about, since you have no idea how much code I have or haven't written.
                  your coding skills are irrelevant - it's CLEAR that you don't do professional hired development ...
                  1) Not everything in life is easy. Nobody said that all code will or should be easy to understand.
                  quite the contrary
                  in fact, "write working, but first of all simple and understandable code (possibly readable as plain english) - KISS!" is the first thing they usually tell you when you first join a team (if you dont already know it)
                  usually followed by "dont do microoptimization, focus on the algorithm and the design first" and the coding conventions and practices (involving writing documentation - lots of it) you WILL have to follow... if you want to retain your job and even see your code compile, that is
                  a checkstyle pass is usually in place to ensure all code conforms to project-wise criteria and metrics (thus if some method or variable has a non conforming name, or is too long or has a too high cyclomatic complexity, the build process fails, ie the build is broken, and you're the one who's broken the build),
                  but more importantly, you're usually told that the whole team is responsible for the whole codebase - this means that you have to be able to understand any of your teammates' code as if it were yours, and any of teammates will have to be understand yours as it it were his/hers, so there should be no code "popping out" due to a particular specific style, instead project code shall have "its own" uniform style
                  otoh, due to this, if you understand your teammates' code but they're not able to understand (and maintain) your code as theirs, it means you havent done enough to conform to achieve uniform clarity - thus it's also your fault
                  2) A single gifted programmer can do the work of tens of average developers.
                  doesnt matter at all when/if the lone uber-programmer goes his own way, producing code that works but is not easily understandable, is (like all fresh code) possibly buggy (but being obscure or convoluted is hardly debuggable) and is not documented - at which point other developers ("average" ones) developers are tasked with auditing and debugging his code
                  at which point they may decide it's better /effective /future proof to revert and rewrite it that spend longer trying to sort it out...
                  The fact that you're professionally hired and paid says nothing about your skill. Focus on pay only says that you are a prostitute, as opposed to an actual practitioner of an art.
                  get off your high horse, please, and consider that in the above no money is involved - it's only about professionalism in being a team developer

Comment

It says that your skills are high enough so that someone would spend money to have you use them for him. So, yes, it tells something about your skills. Much more so than being a random forum member, for example. Or than doing it for any given motive, including "the art".
                    In fact, you can also assume that a better paid prostitute is likely a better one at it

Comment

You also seem to be laboring under multiple other false impressions.

1) Not everything in life is easy. Nobody said that all code will or should be easy to understand. (Just like not all code is easy to write.) The fact is, some things really are hard, period.

2) A single gifted programmer can do the work of tens of average developers. But no amount of average developers can ever do what a single gifted programmer can do.

Wow, you REALLY aren't doing yourself any favors are you?

"Nobody said that all code will or should be easy to understand"

Yeah TELL US MORE about your strategy of leaving unmaintainable code in the product. Tell us more about how that works in real life. Oh that's right, you can't because you are just shooting poo out of your ass.

Some of us feed and house our families with the money we make from software development. If you think that is being a "whore" then I've got another swift kick in the balls for you.
                      Last edited by frantaylor; 13 February 2013, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X