Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android Support Being Merged For Qt 5.1

Phoronix: Android Support Being Merged For Qt 5.1

Digia is planning on merging Google Android support into the mainline Qt code-base for Qt 5.1, the next major release of the open-source toolkit due out later this year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Clarification.

"Up to this point there's been the Necessitas project under the KDE umbrella for Qt support on Android, but rather than this independent community project there will now be official support as of Qt 5.1."

What Digia are merging (and also helping to port to Qt 5) *is* the Necessitas project, led by BogDan Vatra. The wording of this phrase makes it seem like this isn't the case, or at least leaves it very unclear.

I'm not sure if you misunderstood this or are trying to stir up controversy, if so, consider me trolled.

Comment

Good thing. This will make QT the real universal toolkit. Single codebase for Windows, Linux, Mac OS X and Android, Meego, Blackberry. If the could port it to IOS then just ftw

Comment

I've been holding off switching over to qt for Android development, even though I much prefer qml + JS / C++ to xml layouts and Java, mainly because I was concerned the switch from Necessitas to mainline support might break projects transitioning between them. This can't come soon enough!

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
          I've been holding off switching over to qt for Android development, even though I much prefer qml + JS / C++ to xml layouts and Java, mainly because I was concerned the switch from Necessitas to mainline support might break projects transitioning between them. This can't come soon enough!
          well, the way I look at it is this: "it's there and works right now today", and the porting effort required to shift from Qt4 to Qt5 for my code is relatively minimal if anything for what I'm going to do, beyond switching over to QML2. although I'm going to rewrite things once the Desktop components go upstream as one of the biggest problems is that it's hard to not look like a website from the 90s because of having to make your own custom buttons and everything. I mean I appreciate the power that gives designers but as a developer doing his own UI code...

Comment

Working...
          X