No announcement yet.

Ubuntu To Start Shipping On Smartphones In October

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More information is needed on the non-libre parts of the phone. What drivers will be binary only. What apps will be binary only? Will it run the dalvik engine to run android apps next to its own stuff?

Comment

Meh.

I used to love Ubuntu (I still have some stickers, cups, t-shirt etc) but then I saw all the useless crap they are recreating (the we-promoted-wayland-but-now-we-don't-want-it thing, Ubuntu one DB, Ubuntu SDK and even Unity etc.) and I really don't care any more...
      I don't say I will uninstall it immediately, but I will look for alternatives...

Comment

Definitely something I'm looking forward to, even if I have my reservations about Ubuntu. This is a niche I think can be filled. I will never ever, under no circumstances, if even given for free or paid for, touch iEvil hardware or software, so that rules that out for me. And Google is becoming increasingly ominously omnipresent for me, so I try to avoid their products, close any remaining gmail/yt accounts, use alternative search engines, etc. For someone like me, a smartphone from a company in whose sincerity I believe is something completely different. After all, Shuttleworth already made his fortune, he doesn't look like such a capitalist pig ala Jobless since dead/Page/Brin/Gates.

Side note: Has anyone of you ever noticed those disgusting antifa people/vegans/other Good (tm) people who use the latest iEvil/Google phone to communicate and coordinate their deeds of Good?

Comment

Originally posted by susikala View Post
          Definitely something I'm looking forward to, even if I have my reservations about Ubuntu. This is a niche I think can be filled. I will never ever, under no circumstances, if even given for free or paid for, touch iEvil hardware or software, so that rules that out for me. And Google is becoming increasingly ominously omnipresent for me, so I try to avoid their products, close any remaining gmail/yt accounts, use alternative search engines, etc. For someone like me, a smartphone from a company in whose sincerity I believe is something completely different. After all, Shuttleworth already made his fortune, he doesn't look like such a capitalist pig ala Jobless since dead/Page/Brin/Gates.

Side note: Has anyone of you ever noticed those disgusting antifa people/vegans/other Good (tm) people who use the latest iEvil/Google phone to communicate and coordinate their deeds of Good?
          Here's a crazy thought, maybe things become really successful, and by extension make their creators very wealthy - because they're good.

I'll be looking at these for my next phone later this year, but it boils down to this: If the Ubuntu phone is best I can get for my budget, then I'll get one, otherwise I won't.

Comment

Originally posted by cbamber85 View Post
            Here's a crazy thought, maybe things become really successful, and by extension make their creators very wealthy - because they're good.
            Where's the logic here? I claimed that Shuttleworth made his fortune somewhere else than Ubuntu (and by extension of that thought, doesn't necessarily see Canonical as a vehicle to make him rich), which cannot be said about Gates, the Google duo or the first bastard I mentioned. Successful != good. Several dictatorships in the past and in the present were and are pretty successful, at least within their own country. North Korea is successful in keeping its horrid regime for centuries -- and its heads are certainly very wealthy. That doesn't make them good. I really do consider it a crazy thought to equate successful with good, but this is exactly the bf'd logic that people who use smartphones by one of the companies I mentioned employ.

The other way round, the argument works just as little. For example, not driving cars and using public transportation is a _good_ thing to do, at least from an environmental point of view. Still most middle class people in the Western countries own a car, and those who use public transportation do it because they have to, not because they want. So here's a good example for a good thing which isn't successful because people are pigs.
            Last edited by susikala; 08 February 2013, 03:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X